nine

"Where were you?"

I ignored her gaze.

"With Seung Yoon..."

I got all tense waiting for a beating.
My mom sighed.

"I get it. Your friend who lost his memories, you should hang out with him. But you should've told me first!"

She slapped my arm.

"Ouch! I'm sorry!" I put both my arms up in surrender.

"Seung Yoon is going back to school tomorrow, leave early and take him to school with you."

I smiled and nodded.

"And you didn't need to take all the meat in the fridge!" She shouted,"I could've made him something."
I smiled.
My one and only mom.

"I love you!" I shouted as I walked up the stairs.

"Me too." I heard her say back.

I got out of the shower and walked into the room in my t-shirt and sweats.
I saw the old pink glittery box Mino gave me when we were in 8th grade, that was the first year we met. When he first gave it to me I was surprised. He said it was for his little sister but gave it to me instead. I knew he was lying.
From the little smile on his face to his little eye quints, he was lying.

Now the most of the glitter has fallen off and it's ugly and dull, but that's my memory box. My precious memory box. Things have been sucky lately, with only me aware of all of those memories. When Mino disappeared I was so depressed, Seungyoon was the one by my side and he visited everyday that summer. When Seungyoon got into that accident I was the most depressed I've ever been. I was scared that I was going to just be left alone, sitting in the dark. I'm just glad that Seungyoon is alive and well. I need him and I love him. It's kind of late to say that now but I do. I loved Mino too.
I opened the box and saw old Polaroid pictures of my silly best friends, making stupid faces and the dumbest poses.

"These idiots..." I smiled.

I looked at a photo of all three of us together, smiling, and being happy together. Minho, he was wearing his favorite shoes. Seungyoon wore his lucky hat, and I stood there holding onto my two best friends.
How we all become such good friends with each other? I don't know exactly. I put the photos down and walked to my calendar.
Today is May 23rd.
At approximately 7:26 PM May 26th, the car collision occurred. The police and ambulance came at 7:43 PM. Mino was declared not found that night at 8:02. Alexis died in the hospital at 2:37 AM. I got the call at 7:48 AM while I was in the middle of taking a shit.
May 26th was the day of Mino's disappearance. May 27th marks the day Alexis dies.
Without realizing it, tears began to flow down my cheeks.
Mino, where are you?
How are you?
I completely broke down and fell to the floor crying.
I just stared.
I just stared at Mino's old red shoes sitting under my bed. Mino's red shoes, which I found in the middle of the forest, three months after his disappearance.