Chapter One

I haven't spoken to my best friend since Sophomore year. And even then we barely spoke. We stuck to our plan to text every night and skype whenever. But that slowly turner to a few days a week, to one day a week, to once ever so often to a simple text.

A text that would be 'happy b-day.' Or 'merry Christmas'. But once sophomore year rolled around I wouldn't even get a text on my birthday. Or even a text back to any message I sent to him.

Last month my mom talked to his mom. Apparently Ryder has been mixed with the wrong kids. He's now into drugs and alcohol. Never shows up to class or home. He's over dosed on drugs a countless amount of times, putting himself in the hospital all the time. I'm surprised he hasn't permanently damaged himself yet. He's been expelled from three different High schools. He's a wreck.

It's hard to imagine the sweet boy who never even thought about touching drugs or alcohol I knew Is in that type of trouble. His old house is a constant reminder that he was ever in my life. His still vacant house that hasn't changed one bit. I shake the thought of him out of my head as I step out of the shower and continued to get ready to go to school.   

I meet my boyfriend, Matthew outside. He was my ride to school ever day. "Hey Bailey." His smile spreads across his face when he sees me. It made my heart swell at the reaction I get from him every time he sees me.

"Hey Matty." He stretches his neck to plant a kiss on my cheeks. I turn my face towards him before grabbing his cheeks and planting a huge kiss on his lips. He smiles before deepening the kiss by biting down on my lip. I gasp. "Ouch, babe! How many times have I told you not to do that to me when we kiss. It's one thing if it's a nibble. But you literally bite me!" I pout when he starts historically laughing. I cross my arms and look out the car window to make my point that I don't like when he does that.

"Bailey?" He's no longer laughing. I don't turn around. I refuse to let him see the smile threatening to make its way to my face. "Hey, Bailey. Don't smile or your face will crack."

I can't help my smile whenever he says that. He chuckles when he realizes that his choice of words worked. "Just drive. Neither of us can afford to be late." I mumble. He listens and begins to speed down my street.

---

"Mother! Brandon! I'm hooooome!" I frown when I get no reply. I shrug my shoulders dropping my back pack on the counter and headed to the fridge. Aka my baby.

I pull out some left over pizza and sat down at the table. I lift my head and look out the window to see a moving truck pulling into the Williams driveway.

I feel my stomach churn. No one has ever lived in that house after the Williams. And I liked it that way. Ryder and I may not be close anymore but I definitely didn't like the idea of someone living in my old best friends house.

I get up to get better look through the the window. I pull down the shades and peer through the small opening. I scream and jump back when I make eye contact with a boy about my age, standing outside of the Williams house.

I slowly creep back to the window and open the shades again to see the boy walking up the steps to his new home. I don't leave the window, instead I watch as he comes in and out the house carrying boxes.

I hope my mom doesn't come home any time soon. Because knowing her she would walk right up to their house and invite them over for dinner.

It's around 7:30 PM when I hear screaming and yelling coming from our new neighbors. I'm usually not one for eavesdropping but curiosity gets the better of me.

I walk up to my bedroom window and casually open it. Getting a better idea of what they are telling about.

"I think it would be good for you son!"