Chapter Three

I stare at Ryder, a laugh threatening to escape. HE wanted ME to pretend to be his girlfriend?

"Bails?.." He looks like he's starting to get uncomfortable. I search for any sign of him joking but only find seriousness.

"Wait. You're not kidding?" He slowly shakes his head twice. That's it, I couldn't help but begin to laugh uncontrollably.

"Bails that's going straight to the ego." Ryder says placing a hand over his heart. He pretends to wipe away a tear.

"Sorry! Bu-but..." I take a second to sit down and try to control myself. Once I start to calm down I take a deep breath. "Ok. So you're funny. Because if you think I'm crazy enough to pretend to be your girlfriend while I already have a boyfriend... You are the one that's crazy."

"It won't be public to the school."

"Then why do you want a fake relationship?"

"My family... Thinks I'm gay." A weird noise between a snort and a laugh escapes my lips.

"Oh my god, Ryder." I say giggling. I motion him to give me a hug, which he obliges to. Ryder immediately pulls away when I start to silently giggle.

"Bailey, seriously. It's not funny." He says with all seriousness.

"No it kind of is," I say making my way to the living room. "So tell me what you had in mind. Like what do you want me to do, fake boyfriend."

"Um I don't know maybe like come over to dinner so I can introduce you as my girlfriend."

"Won't your parents suspect something? They know us too well." I point out.

"Right. I have something to tell you. You may want to take a seat." I give him a look.

"I'm already sitting," I joked. He ignores my comment and sits next to me. I take a moment to look at his features. His dark hair is messed up, but in a good way, as if he just woke up. His eyes seem a darker shade of green, only when he's stressed about something. I place a hand on his knee to get him to look at me. "What's the matter?"

"I. My dad... He passed away about a year and a half ago." His eyes look glassy, like he's restraining from crying.

On the other hand, I felt like I just lost a close family member as well. Duane was  a fatherly figure for me growing up, until they moved away. He knew I didn't exactly have a father of my own, so he made an effort to be there for me when I needed a dad.

12 years ago April 14, 2006

"Bailey you want to tell me why you were crying?" Duane asks in a soft voice.

I look up at him and try to explain, but fail because I instantly start crying again. "I-I tripped on the p-patio when me and R-Ryder were playing tag. And I hurt my f-foot." I point at my ankle, sobbing.

He rolls up my jeans, and observes my swollen ankle. "You just twisted it, sweetie. It'll only hurt for a day or two. Do you want me to put ice on it? Then I'll get you some ice cream?" He says with excitement in his voice, making me excited too.

"Y-yes please." He pulls me up to my feet before leading me inside the house. He places ice on my foot, just as Ryder bolts into the kitchen.

"Heyyy why does she get ice cream and not me?" He whines hopping up on the stool next to me.

"You can have some too, Ryder." Duane chuckles.

I bring my legs up to my chest, and release the sob I was holding in. "How?" I manage to say. Ryder wraps his arms around me before answering.