Chapter 4

I wake to the sound of coffee beans in a grinder. I look up at the DVD player to check the time. You've got to be kidding me. It's 6:30 am. Who in gods name is up this early?

I hear humming coming from the kitchen and I get up to get something to eat since I'm not going to be able to go back to sleep. It's Roberta.

I walk into the kitchen and head straight for the fridge. Roberta slaps my hand.

"Hey what was that for," I screech.

"I cook you breakfast," she says with a spanish accent and shooing me out of the kitchen.

Not wanting to upset Roberta I leave the kitchen. I'm heading towards the bathroom so I can freshen up the little that I can when I'm hear someone come down stairs. I pick up my pace because I really don't want to see anybody right now. I'm a few feet away from the bathroom when I hear John's voice calling

me.

I turn around.

"Yes?" He's already dressed in his suit and ready for work.

"Is that what you slept in last night," he asked with a worry look on his face.

I look down at the sleep wrinkled jeans I wore yesterday and the shirts and sweatshirts I layered and nod my head yeah, "It's all I have."

"If I would've known, I would've given you something to wear to bed," he says. Then calls after Roberta.

Roberta walks in, "Yes?"

"Will you wash Ryan's clothes immediately please and give her some of Daren's clothes that she would fit in," he tells her. Then he turns to me and says, "Go upstairs and take a shower. I have some razors in the bottom left hand corner drawer."

I know he's not going to take no as an answer so I start walking towards the stairs. While I'm halfway up the steps he calls my name once again. I turn around and see him reaching into his pocket for his wallet.

"Take my credit card and have Daren take you to the mall so you can get some stuff. Spend however much you want to and on whatever you want," he says while handing me the credit card.

"John.."

"I'm not taking no for an answer. Now go upstairs and Roberta will be up there with some clothes she can find that will fit you."

"Thank you."

"What are dads for," he says with a smile and all I can do is nod.

As I reach the top of the stairs a door at the end of the hall opens. It's Daren.

"Good morning," he says with a smile on his face like he still can't forget the fact that I'm still here.

"Mornin'," I say, "Daren listen. Umm.. This might sound weird but can you uh not tell people I'm your sister."

"Wait. What?"

"It has nothing to do with you," I reassure him. "It's just that I want to see where I fit in as me and not your sister. I need this."

He looks at me a moment longer then nods.

"Thanks."

"I'm worried about you sis."

I give him a smile that tells him everything is okay but i know it doesn't have the full effect i wanted it to have.

"Hey, can you take me to the mall so I can get somethings," I ask while holding up our fathers credit card.