Seek Refuge Immediately

When the apocalypse began, many people lost their sanity. Riots. Looting. People were murdered. Luckily we were never in the cities. We were traveling across the United States when it all started, Arizona to Florida. I didn't want to move, everything I loved was in Arizona, but my parents thought it was the best option for us since my mom was offered a better job there. We were almost through Alabama when the highways began to stop. Thousands of people rushing to leave the cities in hopes of finding refuge brought thousands of walkers with them.
Honestly we didn't know what was happening. We just knew that whatever the hell it was, it wasn't good. Of course all of the zombie movies I watched when I was younger prepared me for the current situation. However, I was not ready for how truly disgusting it all was.
My father took the SUV we were in and decided to have a little off-road adventure, trying to save us from our most certain demise, which just ended with us driving off a small cliff and landing in a mud filled ditch. My father was badly injured, my younger sister was dead, and my mother was losing her mind. I was the stick. I had to stay calm and try to save my parents and myself. After getting us out of the sinking vehicle, I set up a small camp, tended to my fathers wounds (which means I had to have my mom help me take off his leg to lower the risk of infection from the bacteria in the mud. Lucky him. He married a nurse.).
It was almost midnight and my father was probably dying from the blood loss, or maybe he was just knocked out from the pain. Either way he was the one who told us to take off his leg. I sat by the fire plucking shards of glass from my arms, when I heard gurgling coming from the mud pit. When I turned around to figure out what it was, I saw my sister. Well what was my sister. Growling and spitting and pulling herself towards me I realized that I would actually have to do something instead of sitting there in shock.
Was she bit? Was she scratched? But she never came in contact with one.. How could she..
She grabbed onto my shoe as I sat there in horror when a gun went off right next to my ear, deafening me temporarily.