Hearing Damage

I scream out in pain. Never has anything been that loud so close to my head. My hands fly to my ear instinctively as I began feeling the warm blood trickle from inside of it. I turn to see my mother, face half illuminated by the fire, and gun in hand. Her face looks nothing like her own. She is broken. She is empty.
"I'm sorry" she says, her voice barely above a whisper. Or maybe she yelled. I couldn't hear anything aside from a constant ringing and my own heart beat. My mother falls to her knees and screams out. She just had to kill her already dead daughter. She cradled my sister's head in her arms and sobs for what seems like an eternity. I laid back on my back and stared up at the stars, trying to focus on something other than the pain.
I can hear again, after 30 or so minutes, and I immediately wish I couldn't hear. My fathers screams fill my head as I bolt up and twist around only to see two walkers tearing him open.
My mother scrambles for her gun and runs up behind the zombies and attempts to shoot them, but her gun is jammed. Another walker emerges from the woods behind her, biting into her neck and pulling away her flesh. My parents are being eaten alive in front of me and there is nothing I can do.
You can run. But I can't just leave them there. Do you want to end up like them? No. Then run. But where? Into the mud? Into the woods where there are sure to be more? Just fücking run.
So I did.
I ran. I left my parents behind. I mean I know I couldn't have saved them but I wanted to think I could have. But I just. Kept. Running.