Chapter 6 - - Annabeth

Luke texted her back right away.

Great! ❤

Unsure about what this meant, Annabeth texted him again.

so are we dating now?

I hope so. do u have a problem with that?

Annabeth's heart swelled.

Not at all.

Was it possible to like two boys at the same time? She still liked Percy, despite her attempts to push him out of her mind, and she realized that she had a crush on Luke as well.

i've liked u for a while, annabeth, Luke texted.

really?

yeah. remember third grade where we sat next to each other?

You always made faces at me when the teacher wasn't looking

ha ha. i forgot that. but in middle school, on the first day, u looked so pretty

i was a mess that day, Annabeth said, embarrassed that he remembered that.

No u weren't. U looked so pretty and i noticed just how perfect you were. i think i started liking u then.

Annabeth blushed. Awww . . .

thanks so much

of course.

Warmth spread through her chest. It was nice to feel loved. Her phone dinged and she glanced down at it.

i think u are super pretty and amazing. i'm excited to get to know you better. ❤

Aww, you are the best, Luke

Annabeth was surprised at how easily the words came out. But they were true. She did like Luke, a lot. And then, because she wasn't doing anything the next day and she felt delightfully reckless, she asked,

Hey can you hang out after school? go to the coffeeshop?

She was delighted when he responded.

I'd love to. K, gotta go.

Annabeth was amazed at the change in herself. Earlier that day, she could have sworn that Percy was her one and only. Now, though, Luke Castellan had stolen her heart. She still kind of liked Percy, but he was out of the picture now. And she was okay with that.

The next day at school, everyone had somehow heard about her and Luke. All of her friends crowded around her, asking about it. But she wasn't the only one to have a date to the dance. Frank Zhang had asked Hazel to the dance, and she'd said yes. Annabeth, Piper, Hazel, and Thalia were planning to go shopping on Saturday to get clothes for the dance, and Annabeth was excited, despite the fact that she usually didn't like clothes that much.

Annabeth didn't see Luke until lunchtime. As she walked outside, he caught up to her and grabbed her hand.

"Hi, Annabeth."

"Hey, Luke!" She was really happy to see him. A flutter went up her stomach.

"I have to go finish a math test, or else I'd eat with you," Luke said, staring at her with his vividly blue eyes. "But I'll see you after school, right?"
Annabeth smiled. "Yep! I'll meet you outside the school, okay?"

Luke nodded, his eyes sparkling. "I'm excited." He let go of her hand and gave a little wave. "Bye, Annabeth!"

She smiled again. "See you later!"