Chapter 1 - - Percy

"Wake up, Percy!" Sally Jackson's voice carried through the apartment.

Percy groaned and rolled over, burying his head under his pillow. "No, Mom," he mumbled as his impatient mother flicked on his bedroom light.
"It's time to get up, Percy! It's the first day of school, remember? If you're not out here in five minutes, you can have cereal instead of the blueberry pancakes I made."

Percy didn't want to get up, but his mother's blackmail overrode his desire to sleep. He rolled out of bed and threw on a T-shirt and some jeans. He ran a comb through his messy black hair, barely paused to look in the mirror, and ran out to the kitchen table where his stepdad, Paul Blofis, sat.

"Good morning," the man greeted Percy, looking up from his newspaper.

"Morning, Paul," Percy said, his attention on the stack of pancakes his mother carried out from the kitchen. He was nearly drooling by the time she got to the table, and when Sally served them up, he devoured the blue pancakes with an expression of delight. His mother sat down at the table and watched them eat. Once Percy slowed down, she asked, "Excited for high school, Percy?"

Percy scowled down at the wreckage of butter, crumbs, and maple syrup on his plate. "Not at all."

"But you'll get to join the swim team this year, right? And most of your friends are coming to this school?"

"Yeah, I guess swim team will be fun. And most of my friends are going to my school, so . . ." Percy shrugged.

Sally glanced at her watch. "Oh, goodness, you're going to be late! I can drive you this morning, since it's your first day, but after this you can walk to school, okay?"

"Okay," Percy agreed. He hurried over to the door and pulled on a pair of running shoes. He slung his battered green backpack over his shoulder and followed his mother out the door.

The drive to school was quiet. They listened to the radio, and Percy stared out the window and wondered what high school would be like. He sighed as he remembered his fun summer, hanging out at beaches with his friends. It was already over, and now he had to go to school.

His mother pulled up in front of a tall brick building. Clusters of teenagers were making their way up the steps, and Percy thought he saw his friends.

"Have a good day! Love you!" his mother said as he got out of the car. "And, Percy? Try not to get into too much trouble today." She blew him a kiss and drove away.

Percy turned towards the building and heaved another sigh. As he was about to start walking, he felt someone run into him. Percy turned, ready to say some sharp words to whoever it was, and then recognized the boy.

"Leo!"

"Hi, Percy!" Leo Valdez said. Percy's friend had messy black hair, slightly pointed features, and a permanent look of mischief on his face. "I haven't seen you all summer! How are you?"

Percy shrugged. "You know, you know. What's that you have?"

In Leo's hands was a tangle of wires. Leo hid it behind his back. "It's a surprise," he said, eyes glinting mischievously. "Trust me, it will make today a lot better."

Percy laughed. Leo was one of his best friends, and he was also a troublemaker. He was great with mechanics and always found a way to mess with the school electronics.