Summer

King Ailbe and princess Regina stayed with the people of Mila for 3 weeks after Aoife's memorial. King Deegan was pleased and found that having his brother from the north really helped with Aoife's passing. Regina spent everyday with Emma, talking to and singing to her all her favourite lullabies. When the time came to say goodbye Regina was very sad, she took Emma in her arms and whispered "Beidh mé ag teacht i gcónaí tú" Emma replied with an excited squeal and Regina tried very hard not to cry. "My dearest you shall return soon it is nearing summer now, we shall make this journey again" King Alibe said to her. So the visitors of the moon returned to Makuria and King Deegan began to feel lonely, he paced his room and even took up painting again, something he hadn't dome since before he was a ruler. Nurse Ashling tried to include the king in as much of the raising of Emma as she could but she knew the king held a heavy heart over his loss and the child's fair hair and beauty only sought to remind him of her, his Aoife. 

Emma grew quickly and by her 7th birthday every summer Regina would make her way down south. They had become the best of friends as Regina had predicted but this friendship only put Orla more on edge. It  had been 7 years and no whisper of Callieach Eimear had been heard, she had searched the entire forest and come up with nothing. She could see the friendship blossoming in front of her eyes and she had to believe Regina and Emma had hearts of light. 

"Emma!!" Regina squealed with delight as she ran from her carriage. Her father didn't always escort her down every summer and so she travelled with the advisors and guards. Emma ran and held out her arms waiting for Regina to spin her, to take her in her arms and whirl her around like every year. She was not disappointed. The wind rang in her ears and Regina's arms on her waist felt magical. Her best friend had returned for the summer and she was so confident this year would be the year she climbed the great oak. Regina, now 10 years old wore a dress befitting a princess. It was yellow and shone like the sun, Emma loved it already, she was in red and as Regina spun her the dress spun its many petticoats around and around. When Regina came to visit it was like her world made sense. they spent most of their days running in the forest and climbing trees, or watching Regina climb trees, and Emma felt home.