Chapter Eight

Two weeks have passed since Kíli was taken and yet, there is still no sign of him. Even now with the help of King Bard and the men, who volunteered to keep watch of anything shady around Dale, felt the task to bring back the younger Dwarf prince to be a more impossible one. Simply taking Thorin and Fíli's words into consideration about what happened to Kíli wasn't enough evidence they could stand by. If that was the case, they needed more clues.
Although Thorin did agree to what Bard suggested, Fíli was otherwise opposed to the idea and felt things needed to be taken place immediately. He couldn't care less about how it happened, why it happened, and who did it. If it wasn't for Thorin and Dís, Fíli would have jumped into the lion's den the exact day he went missing. Still, nothing would remove the fire from his heart and the drive to dive into the quest. It's evident how stubborn Fíli can be and how, without thinking, he could take off without a single thought given to a situation. Thorin is exactly the same. He would do the same as Fíli. But for the sake of the kingdom and his family, he knew he couldn't go to such measures.

Word was going around in the mountain regarding the disappearance. Gossip and low murmurs could be heard whilst merely walking through. Some believe it was far too much time he's been gone and thought they shouldn't search for him anymore. Most began to accept the fate of the prince and move on from the incident. Others thought more positively, though not a whole lot did. The first half knew if Kíli were to be found, it would be merely be his lifeless body and nothing more.
In reality, the possibilities were endless as to what could be of Kíli now. No one wanted to think of the worst case scenario.

Fíli was endless with his searches. He would get up at the crack of dawn and he would not be back until supper. His mother was nervous he was out as much as she would like. And Thorin told him to slow down some, but Fíli wouldn't have it. He's told them various of times he won't stop until he is found. Even if it leads him to his own death.
Each week that passed, more weight would be added to his already heavy shoulders. Even though the search party was being sent out everyday, he still wasn't content with the idea of them doing it. He had the mentality of doing things himself if he wanted them to be done right. It made perfect sense to him.

Night had already fallen when he arrived back at the mountain. He made his way towards the Royal wing, careful enough not to make any noises that might wake his family. Quietly, he turned the knob on his chamber door. But before he could even think of stepping in, he heard someone behind him clear their throat.
It was as if Thorin had been waiting there for him the whole time. Fíli groaned internally, simply wanting to lay on his bed and sleep for the remainder of the night. He also sensed a speech from Thorin quickly approaching, so he mentally prepared himself.

"How did it go?" He asked.

"There's still no sign of him anywhere." Fíli answered, somewhat baffled by Thorin's subtle approach. "However, I'll continue later on. I'm tired."

"Very well, get some rest the-" Thorin raised him arm and began coughing harshly into it, sounding like it hurt his throat.

"Uncle, are you all right?" Fíli questioned, becoming more alert. But Thorin just waved him off.
"I'm quite fine, lad. I think I'm coming down with a cold. Anyways, goodnight. I'll see you tomorrow."

Fíli bowed his head, parting ways with the dwarf King. Walking into his room, a certain brown and white cat brushed against his leg before he could get any further. Jumping on his bed, she sat down and simply stared at him as he took off his layers of clothing until he changed into more sleep-appropriate attire.
"I miss him, Olivia. It's been only two weeks and I miss him so much. Do you?" Fíli petted her, her purring only getting louder and louder with every stroke. The blonde dwarf chuckled, but it was more of a forced one. "Of course you don't. How could I ever forgot those times you've scratched or hissed at him just for being near me?"
She stared at him with a blank expression.
"Nevertheless, it's time to sleep."

It may have been time for sleep, but that didn't mean he'd get any of it. For some hours, his mind was running with thoughts he couldn't shake off. What could've been of Kíli at the moment? Could he have escaped the Orcs?

Was he still with them?

Was he dead?

Fíli didn't want to think the unthinkable. He closed his eyes and tried to drift off to sleep once again.

"All right. Today, I want you all to search a bit farther this time. Fifteen miles more than you usually do. I hope by furthering our search, we will find more clues and evidence." Thorin instructed the search party the next morning. They all stepped out of the mountain, preparing themselves for anything that may come their way.
Fíli, on the other hand, stayed back. He would do his own scouting later on.

"I will be in the library for a while if you need me, uncle." Fíli said. And it was true, he was going to the library to clear his mind some. He liked to sit down and read a good book, escaping reality for as long as he needed too. Especially in these times, he was extremely grateful for the library that was made here.
"Report to me if anything was discovered."
Thorin nodded. "As you wish."

And then Fíli was off. He passed the busy bunches of Dwarves, passing some corridors before getting to the library. As he stepped in, he was greeted by Corryn, the Dwarven woman who was in charge of the library.
No matter how many times he walks in there, it will never cease to amaze him. Large mahogany bookcases were lined up against the wall, each book carefully placed in its corresponding area. It probably took Fíli just twenty minutes to simply find a book. There were two rows of just tables and Fíli took his seat at one of them.

As soon as he began reading, he completely immersed himself into the book.

---------------------------------------------
Yesss I know, it's a boring chapter. But it's just a filler, it has to do with was is to come in the next chapter. And also, sorry I took so long writing this one :( next chapter should be up in a few days 🌝!!