Fragile

The faint buzz of a picture that could have been echoes softly in the background.

It beckons,

Inch ever so closer,

Reach out to touch,

And with a snap the string is broken and the reality of your own self smashes down on top of you like a heavy brick wall.

You lie awake at night with an ache in your chest and a space in your heart being saved to remind you of what could have been,

And as you open that door, you sure as hell better be ready.

The light will surround you from all sides, embracing and holding you near, as to never ever let you escape.

They remind you that you do not know what is right, and that scares you.

So you turn around and run away to come face to face with a cold metal chain,

Blocking you off from all that remains.

So as you feel trapped and alone and confused and ashamed, here is what I have to offer to you.

Nobody is going to open the door for you, so you better dig yourself out.

And I know you will because you don't have any other option.

Now is all you have.

You are all you have.

And I want to remind you that you can do this.

You have to do this, you're the only one who can.

So this time, do not be afraid of what is. For it is all you've ever known, and I can promise that if it were to be taken away you would wish upon a thousand shooting stars just to have it back.

Do not be afraid of the cracks in the hourglass.

They remind us that all is so very fragile.

So as we step forward with aching hearts and heavy souls,

I trust that we will be ready to face what we have been told to be true,

For it is,

And it is beautiful.