The Cold

I refuse to remain,

And I refuse to stay the same.

For you can become all bundled up in the blanket you call home.

But one day that blanket will slowly wrap itself around you until you disappear under its warmth.

You never understood that warmth you so desired was suffocation in disguise and now you're clawing at the corners trying desperately to free yourself but it's useless.

At least that's what they'll tell you. They'll tell you you've been clueless and maybe that is true.

But everyone deserves a chance to start over fresh and new.

So this time when the cold subtly envelopes you in its unforgiving wave do not be afraid.

For though the cold is cruel to you the cold will never lie to you.

and the cold will let you build a city while the warmth would have left you alone and sweaty.

The cold will let you run wild and free and though you are shivering,

You are shivering in the place that you now know of as home.

For the little voices that filled your head as you wrapped yourself up in that blankets warm embrace were lying to you.

They promised to protect you,

They said, "that's the way life is"

They told you to run away from it they told you to keep warm.

But then one day the fire died out and all you could see hear and feel was cold.

And you may just discover that you love it.

I will never remain,

I refuse to stay the same.

And that is what the cold has taught me.