Chapter 6: Begin

Tariq then took me back to the bridge where it all began. I felt like I couldn't breathe as we neared its edge. My legs felt stiff and heavy like lead. As if he knew, he placed a reassuring hand on the small of my back. Even if he was warm, it gave me chills. The cold winds nipped at my nose. I had a death grip on the railing as I stared into the black abyss of waves. I held the locket in my palm to help calm me. A horrible thought came across my mind: Chase could be down there, as they had never found my beloved. I felt the color drain from my face and I swayed. Tariq kept me from falling over. I looked up from the waves to the stars that shone brightly amongst the night sky.

"What exactly are we doing?"

"There is an opening since your Chase has just died here. Since it is recent, it won't hurt as much."

"Anybody can just go to hell through here?"

"No you have to die and be fated to suffer hell or be taken by a dark one such as myself."

"Hurt?"

"Well, you have to die in both options."

"I can't do this; I'm not ready!"

"Wait! There is a way to bring you back."

"How?"

"You have to slay a monster of the underworld."

"I could even slay a fly! Let alone a demon!"

"I will help you."

"I'm scared."

Tariq then turned me to face him and smiled. His smile shone like the stars above us and his eyes glowed like fire embers. As he cast his eyes upon mine, I wondered if this is what fire felt like because I was burning. His voice was like silk and I could just hear this man talk all day. This man really was temptation and I was the tempted. This temptation was also talking me into dying in order to find out about my murderous dead boyfriend and I was all ears! Maybe I should have seen that counselor because I had just about to enter the world of the damned. He pulled me closer and I swore he was going to kiss me, but I was glad that it was a big because my sense was somewhere else.

"Okay?"

"Okay."

I gasped as he pulled me against his chest and I felt something soft surround me: his wings. They were strong and secure. I reached out to brush my hand against the velvet feathers. The opened and we were lifted off the ground: very strong. We stood standing on the railing and I started to panic. He kissed my forehead and fell backwards, absorbing most of the fall. The water was so cold that it felt like needles against my skin. We sunk deeper and I felt the natural instinct to get air. I thrashed, but Tariq held me close and shook his head. All I could feel was panic and I wanted to scream, but as soon as I opened my mouth, salty water filled my lungs. I broke from Tariq's grasp only to be grabbed once again. He placed his lips upon mine and I stopped thrashing. This was a very awkward kiss as he was sucking what air I had left. I let go and just focused on Tariq's warmth. He held me against his chest and I faded, almost like falling asleep.