Chapter 8: Strategy

We sat on the island of black mist and rock. I stared at the waves in a trance, my trembling had not yet gone. I felt Tariq's watchful eye upon me, he was worried. I put a toe in the water: burning. It was so cold that it felt like pins and needles for that simple gesture. Then I remembered, it was hell.

"Penelope-"

"I'm fine."

"At least tell me what you saw."

I sat in silence. I couldn't bring myself to relive the memory. I couldn't think about Chase again or I would break. I also couldn't fail this mission, but I had barely gotten here and I was already scared. Well, it is understandable to be scared of you saw your boyfriend "die" again. Sitting up to stare at Tariq in the face, I steadied my voice and tried again.

"I'm fine."

"You are going to explode."

"No!"

"I should have never brought you here."

"You didn't! I chose this and I will get what I want."

I stood up with a huff and glared at Tariq. The nerve! I clasped my hands behind my back to touch the warm stone and then: bang! Purple smoke swirled around me and I was screaming again. I closed my eyes and I felt my body get heavier. I heard chuckling and when I opened my eyes to see armor. In my right hand was my sword that I hadn't noticed was gone.

"Well now you know what your armor looks like."

"How!"

"This is strange, it should only appear if you're in trouble-"

There was an eerie howl in the distance. There were wolves with fur that glowed like dying embers, but there eyes were red with rage. Tariq then stood in front of me and purple smoke surrounded him. He emerged in dark armor and his wings shone, even in this dim light. I looked down at my sword and the inscriptions glowed bright. I knew what to do. I emerged from behind Tariq and charged. I heard Tariq yell from behind me, but I needed this. I needed to prove that I was a fighter. I let out a fiery war cry that came from who knows where.

"Penelope!"

I stabbed a dog and light erupted from the sword. The dogs ran back, they were afraid of this light. The dog I stabbed burst into flames. It left behind a ruby which I tilted my head at. I reached down to grab it when Tariq ran into me. I fell to the ground with Tariq on top of me. His face was laced with anger and worry. Our armor disappeared with the purple smoke and as soon as it was gone Tariq's lips crashed onto mine. I felt his need, so I closed my eyes. His lips were warm and he knew how to kiss. This was so wrong, but I couldn't bring myself to stop. He pulled away and stared at me with a look that made me flush.

"Tariq."

"I would say I'm sorry but-"

"Don't!"

"I can't believe this, you were supposed to go crazy for me."

"What?"

"It's high time that I tell you who I am."