7

Shark's POV

Everything Rio said was stuck in my mind.

How can I protect "her"? Who do I protect "her" from? Is "she" someone I know? If so, who is "she"?

Suddenly, the bell rang. Megan nudged my elbow, "It's duel period, now. Come on,S hark, let's go tag duel someone."

I stood up and walked away. "No thanks." Honestly, why does Megan even bother? She tries way too hard to get attention.

Before I went out the door, they opened and a girl with red hair, tied in a thick braid, came darting in. She rushed over to Tomboy Izu and started talking to her.

It wasn't hard to figure out what they're talking about because the girl started yelling, "WHAT?! How irresponsible of you! Forgetting your deck on the first day?!"

Izu protested, but, "Library, shmibrary, how will you make friends, there? People are hardly there, at this time of day," was the girl's reply. She took out her deck and handed it to Izu. "Here! Use it for today, but bring yours tomorrow!"

I saw Izu's mouth, moving, again, but more yells. "Yes! It's my precious deck! It you lose it or drop it or ruin it in any way, you owe me! But look, this is Duel Period!" Izu sighed as she took her friend's deck. She never was a big fan of dueling.

Izu left with Tyler and the girl. I don't know why, but I trailed behind them. Until, Tomboy Izu, finally, noticed me. "So what are you doing, Mr. Stalker-Pants?"

"We're going to the same place, so why not?" I answered. "You got a problem with it, Tomboy Izu?"

Izu frowned upon being called by her childhood nickname. Tyler and the girl laughed.

And then, I heard footsteps.

A herd of them.

Soon, a bunch of boys got in front of me and started to bicker, "How dare you call Izuna a tomboy!"

"Why being so mean to the pretty girl!"

"Don't you dare go after her, she's ours!"

Then, I heard a giggle. It was... Izu?

Right now, she was smiling a bright, gentle smile. I stepped back, scared about how unnatural it was to see Tomboy Izu smile. Scariest thing ever, really. She told all of the boys, in a light, feathery  voice, "Oh, please. Don't fight over me! I'm very delicate, in case you never knew. So if you all try to throw yourself at me..." Suddenly, Izu gave them a glare, "I'll leave you in my tracks, then run you over!"

The boys stared at Izu, then sighed, dreamly. "Wow. Even when Izu is angry, she's pretty!"

All the boys scrammed, satisfied with their visit to their goddess, as Izu groaned, "These people..."

We walked outside, where the field was packed. I put on my duel gazer as the girl started fussing with Izu, "Now because you forgot your deck, don't tell me you also forgot your duel gazer!"

Izu said she'll put it on, if she takes back her deck. The girl gave in, only because she didn't trust Izu with her deck and was worried ever since she let her hold onto it. I looked around the field and watched other's duel.

"Izuna!"

I looked the other way and saw Yuma and his friends, running over to us. He approached Izu and asked, "You're in the second-year class?"

"She's older than she looks," I explained.

Yuma glanced at me, "You know her, Shark?"

"We met, back then, at a carnival. Shark also dueled my sister, in the Nationals," Izu looked away. Looks like she still isn't fond of her sister. She's always been like that.