Part 4

DAN POV

SLAM.

"Phil? Are you awake?" But before I could look around the house, the sound of pure heartfelt sobs reached my ears. I felt as if my heart had physically made a noise as it cracked in half.

Hearing Phil cry isn't right. Phil is such a nice, bubbly person. People like him are not meant to be hurt and shattered in these ways.

I ran to his door and started to bang on it.

"Phil, open up. Phil, come on. Speak it out! It always helps! Or at least just let me in, please Phil, please, I can't stand you being like this! I want to help! What's wrong? What happened?"

But all I could hear on the other side of the door were Phil's muffled cries. I tried all I could for him to let me in.

"Phil, is it something that I've done?"

This question just prompted him to cry even harder, wailing into what I could only guess where his bed covers. It didn't take an idiot long to realize that I was, in fact, the one who was hurting him this hard.

I tried everything- I tried picking at the lock, I tried leaving him alone for a bit, but nothing seemed to work. He just cried on and on and on until he was moaning. After a while I started crying as well.

After a few hours of continuous crying from both of us, I fell asleep in front of Phil's room, hoping I'd wake up in his arms.

Suddenly, I head the door open cautiously. Phil stood at the entrance, his eyes and nose puffy and red, his face tearstained. He looked down at me, whilst I glanced up. His somewhat hopeful expression turned into heartbreak, and before he could turn around, he burst into tears. I followed my immediate reflex and stood up and hugged him. I knew he was sad because of me, and he probably didn't want to be near me right now, but I couldn't help it, I was following my heart, not my brain. I put my arms around his shaking body, inhaling his sweet scent, slipping one hand into his. The butterflies in my stomach started doing summersaults. He started crying harder, which only prompted me to hug him tighter. I moved us over to the bed, where I sat down and he curled up on my lap, his head against my chest. I suddenly realized that I was crying as well, silent tears running down my face. I stroked his thick dark hair, and the world seemed to fade, and all I could think about was him, all I could see was him curled up on me, hugging me tight, sobbing into my shirt. After a while he stopped crying, and soon he was breathing deep breaths, his arms still around me. Sleep soon threatened to take over me as well, as I carefully slid out of his grip and lay him down on the bed. I took a pillow and spare blanket and lay down on the floor, not knowing if he would repel me and yell at me for sleeping next to him, yet still needing to be near him, more now than ever before. I turned around so I was facing Phil. His angelic and innocent face was tearstained, and I couldn't help but wonder what I could have possibly done to make him this upset.

PHIL POV

Dan stopped crying after a while. To be honest, all I could ever wish for right now would be for him to hug me and to tell me it was all going to be all right, even though I knew this was all his fault to start with. But it wasn't his fault, I now thought. Was it really his fault that he wasn't gay, that he didn't love me back? Of course not. I started to get very worried as to why Dan had suddenly stopped crying, mid-sob. After about 2 hours of silence, I creaked my door open to find Dan looking sweeter than ever, curled up in a ball in front of my door, his cheeks filled with tearstains so I knew which path each tear took, his sweater tucked up until past his hands in a cute way, him snuggling up to it. His eyes and nose were red and puffy, and he generally looked lonely and exhausted. I immediately felt horrible being the one to have him like this. He looked up at me and my heart skipped a beat. His look was somewhat hopeful, but suddenly all of last night's memories came pouring through my brain. Before I could turn around, I burst into tears.

Suddenly, I felt warm arms envelop me. I looked up and saw Dan was hugging me tightly, and suddenly was holding my hand. This however, made me cry harder, as I knew he saw me as a friend, and I couldn't bear it. I took a bunch of his shirt and started to cry harder into his chest. He squeezed me tighter reassuringly, but I wasn't convinced. I was suddenly being moved over to the bed, where I cried on his chest more than ever, my heartbreak leaking through my eyes. After a few hours, however, sleep took me, and I plunged into a sleep full of Dan, as always.