five | c o i n c i d e n c e

a longer chapter than usual! it's not edited at all, so i apologize beforehand for any of types or spelling errors. also should probably say, i've no idea what i was trying to do. but i did it. so.

- s k y e ☺

-----------------------------------------------

"MAYBE WE SHOULD turn back," my teeth showed no mercy on my bottom lip, "It's kind of dark, isn't it?"

"Oh come on!" Kiera pouted, glancing from the road to me for half a second, "It's only nine o'clock."

I raised an eyebrow, "Only?"

"You know what I mean."

"Do I?" I snapped slightly. The idea of being shadowed in the dark of night, being surrounded by unknown people, had me at a wary mindset.

"The night is young," Kiera returned, "And so are you."

I frowned, "That may be so, but mentally I am approximately a seventy year old man."

"You're depressing," she scolded, "Besides, Greenwich Village is better at night. Lots of guys."

"It's also expensive," I stated. That was sort of true. Not all of the shops or restaurants costed a lot, but then again I was kind of frugal.

"Mmm, that's besides the point." Kiera put the car to a stop, removing the key and dropping it in her purse.

I stared at her, not wanting to get out of the safety of the vehicle, "What're we gonna do?"

"I don't know," she sighed, "We can go to Christopher's park! It's small but, why not?"

"Seriously?" I rolled my eyes, "We did not go all the way over here to go to a park."

"So you do want to do something," she remarked, the triumphant glint in her eyes did not go missed by me, "Besides, we're right next to it."

And she was right, we were. I rubbed my chin, trying to remember what Greenwich Village offered. We could shop, sure, but we did that last week and my wallet was still crying from the big spending. Or maybe it was me crying. I bit the inside of my cheek, "Isn't there a coffee place near?"

Kiera regarded me with a monotonous expression and an even more bland tone, "Wow, you're just the most exciting person ever," she lightly punched my arm, "Liven up a little!"

A devilish grin overcame her red coated lips, "We could play truth or dare."

I hummed, "Yes, and what's even better is we could do it in the mundane surroundings of a coffee shop."

It was difficult to argue with her, both of us were stubborn as a mule. Neither of us could win, so it often lead to a compromise. It was better that way, it was better than one always overruling the other.

"Alright," Kiera nodded accordingly. We both simultaneously popped open the car doors, walking forward to the front of the vehicle.

"Lead me, oh wise one," she gestured her hand forward, into the darkness. I admit, there were more than enough street lamps but it did little to comfort me.

My eyes wandered the streets, people filled the sidewalks and loud chattering killed any silence that could've been. Anything, truly, could be occurring in the clustered crowds. I squinted, trying to read the strangers faces as Kiera and I walked to our destination. Some looked sketchy, others lonely. I wondered what I looked like to people, probably just another blurred face in a world of many. I doubted they thought that when their eyes fell to Kiera, her doe like baby blues threw you into a trance, almost drowning you in the innocence of it all. Then, it was her petite stature which most were attracted to and the curls of brown hair that fell tumbled down her shoulders. My assessment of my best friend was not one of jealousy, no, it was of pride. I was very conceited when it came to my friends, most of their beauty outshines others. An odd thing to be prideful of, yes, but I was. No one could top my friends, at least I thought so anyway.