Chapter Eleven: Lets All Die Together

"You're crazy right? New York is the focal point of all the Forsaken attacks, two of their group are already dead. There's no way Fiona is letting us anywhere close to that place." Miles was completely rigid about the decision but his straightforward rejection only made me angrier.

"Your girlfriend almost killed me today for this information, there's no way I'm letting that go in vain!" I burst out but Miles was not to be moved. He stood up, straightened his shirt and then looked right at me.

"It's cute how your hellbent on getting yourself killed but I will have no part in it." He said sternly.

"If we don't find that offspring of Arthur's we're all as good as dead." I tried to reason but he shook his head.

"I will find a way to tell Fiona about this without giving away how we got this information and then the more experienced elders can handle the situation. But until I figure out a good story, it's best for all of us to forget about it." His eyes were boring into mine with such intensity, I thought I was going to collapse under the pressure. Nevertheless, I somehow managed to stand my ground.

He walked out the window and didn't look back. I wanted to call after him, plead him to consider but I successfully kept my mouth shut. It would be a cold day in hell before I ever begged that jerk for help. I shut the window with such force, for a second I thought the glass was going to shatter, but it thankfully stayed intact.

I couldn't explain the sudden urgency inside me. I just knew I had to get to that Sanctuary in New York. I just somehow knew that everything would make sense if I just got there. In those few seconds, I had already decided that I was getting inside that Institute. Help or no help, I was going to New York.

******

"Well do you know who runs the Institute there?" I asked as Ash and I made our way to the cafeteria. The whole day had passed in a blur. The only thing I could think about was finding a way inside that Sanctuary. I didn't know what I would do once I got there but I figured I would go from there. I hadn't even figured out how I was going to identify the descendant but I wasn't too worried about that. I mean anyone related to a person as evil as Arthur probably had horns, and claws for nails.

"Off-course, the guy's a legend. He's Roger Dean."

I stopped in my tracks.

"You mean the Roger Dean, my mother's best friend? Wasn't he with them the day they-" I couldn't continue the sentence but Ash gratefully spoke up quick.

"You really have been living under a rock. They found him around two years ago. He was in a coma all this time and when he woke up, he didn't remember anything that happened that day."

The little hope that had build up inside me faded away just as quickly. No one knew what happened that day and now the only person who survived that wave of Forsaken didn't remember anything about it.

"After my mother died, I found this diary she kept. It didn't feel right to read it but sometimes when things got really tough, I would read a few pages. I haven't read much but I can tell that Roger and my mother were very close. I bet if we got there, he won't deny me entrance into the Institute."

Now I had another reason to travel to New York. Roger was probably the closest person to my mother I would find. I knew I had my grandmother, but she was a working woman. She loved my mother and all but my mother was mostly raised by nannies. Roger on the other was like the brother my mother didn't have. They were inseparable, according to my grandmother.

"Then it's done, we're ditching school tomorrow. Yes." Ash pulled a fist in approval. I could only roll my eyes. I bet he didn't even understand how important this trip was, all he could think about was a day away from school. He didn't even mind the Forsaken concentration in New York but then when I thought about it, it was really not that bad of a trade. Okay who was I kidding, anything was better than being tortured with stupid formulas you're pretty sure you would never really have to use in your practical life. At least by going to New York we were more or less saving the world.