Chapter Fifteen: Sodalis

Convincing Roger to let me help didn't take much time as he seemed rather enthusiastic to see me in action. Ash, on the other hand wasn't too thrilled but he didn't push. Emma just told me to be safe and gave my hand a reassuring squeeze.

"If they get all weird like me, then just tell Fiona to let them sleep it off." Lucas said, trying to be helpful as well. I smiled at him, nodding at the same time.

"Anything else?"

"Keep out of trouble." Ash said. His tone was like steel, demanding attention.

"I mean it Madison."

I rolled my eyes and walked up to him before throwing my arms around him.

"I'll be fine."

His body tensed initially but then relaxed and he hugged me back.

"I won't be." He pulled back so he could face me.

"Not until your back."

Sam cleared her throat behind us, a dangerous look on her face. For some reason that made me jerk away from Ash.

"Well then I guess I should get going."

Roger led me to the temporary refugee camp they had built on the outskirts of the Sanctuary. There was panic and fear in the air, mixed with a sense of determination to survive. Somehow. Volunteers in plain grey jumpsuits were busy passing out food supplies and other necessities to the mass gathered on the grounds. I could hear children crying and some men demanding answers for all the commotion.

We halted in front of a cream colored tent, set up next to a tree trunk so the path to it was uneven because of all the roots extending from the tree. When we entered, I found a bunch of adolescents sitting in a shape resembling a circle. They were playing some kind of card them but instantly stopped when they saw us come in. I managed to spot a familiar pair of grey eyes.

"Hey Eddie." I did a half wave and his bored expression turned into a relieved one.

Roger then selected a number of four kids, advising against teleporting more. I made sure Eddie was one of them. We all locked hands and then my eyes shut. Calling back the sensation was not hard and it was surprising how easily it came. I could already feel the power surging through my body again and I didn't have to worry about getting us to the right place. By now I knew the Sanctuary back at home like the back of my hand.

The hollow feeling hit me and I knew I was in the space between time and distance itself. I focused on the place I remembered the best, the training room. The next second, when I opened my eyes, I was there. I checked for the rest of the kids and once I was sure they were all there, my attention turned to the figure staring at us from the corner of the room.

"Madison!" Cassidy rushed to me and enveloped me, knocking the breath out of me.

"I was so worried, are the rest alright? I heard about what happened."

I updated her on all that has happened and she gave me a sympathetic look when I told her about Emma and Ash ganging up on me while I was on the bed. In the infirmary. Once I was done with my pity party, I finally noticed her red knuckles.

"Why were you beating yourself to death?" I raised an eyebrow in question.

She quickly hid her hands behind herself and looked away.

"Cassidy?" I urged, putting a comforting hand on her shoulder. She slumped under my touch and broke into tears.

"Hey, what's wrong?" I inquired softly. The kids had already spread around the room, looking at the weapons on display in awe.