Chapter Twenty-Four: Traitor

Madison's POV

The cold metal cuffs around my wrists stung where I had split open my skin in an attempt to shake off the restraints. My eyes were bloodshot and red, my cheeks stained with dried tears. My body hurt, but all the physical pain was nothing compared to how empty I felt inside and it hurt, more than I thought anything could.

The feelings I felt reminded me of the dark days when I had lost my parents, it was like a physical part of me had been torn away from me.

Being betrayed felt the same way. Especially by someone who felt like a part of me. But the worst thing about all this was that I still cared, even after all he was doing to me. I didn't know if I could ever feel differently.

I let out a frustrated scream. My throat ached but I didn't care.

"Let me out!" I barked at the top of my lungs.

Nothing, not even a sound came in reply. After a few more cries my body slumped against the stone wall behind me and I closed my eyes, knowing there was nothing else I could do.

I must have dosed off because the next thing I felt was annoyance at being awoken. The intruder splashed more cold water onto my face and I groaned in disapproval.

"Wake up, I don't want to have to carry you again."

My heart skipped a beat and my eyes opened, forgetting their want for sleep.

He was still dressed the same way in his black fighting gear but my heart ached at how perfect he looked. I shaped my face into a stern expression.

"I'm not going anywhere." I spat, looking straight into his eyes. I looked away before I started staring.

"I wasn't asking." He clipped in a distant manner and to my surprise bent over me and in a quick motion unlocked my cuffs.

"Get up." He ordered icily and I had to bite back the tears that were threatening to spill. I rose as instructed, with my back straight and head held high. There was no way I was going to let him have the luxury of treating me like a dog.

His eyes darted towards my blood-stained hands and his jaw clenched. Without another word he stormed out of the containment room and I was left to stand there confused and dumbfounded, thinking of what I should do next. I stepped outside the room, scanning the hallway going towards the east side of the underground quarters. Before I could take another step towards my freedom, a hood emerged in front of me. I backed up until I was again inside my confinement unit.

"Going somewhere?" It hissed and I recognized it immediately. His rotting hands pulled back his hood and I swallowed a scream.

Emma's POV

I pulled my hand back and landed a strike on the unlucky guard's head who was unknown to the danger behind him. I stared at his crumpled form, guilt rising inside me.

"Sorry." I murmured before moving out of the hallway. Ash and Sam waited on the other side as planned. Both their stances were tense and I couldn't help notice how both of them were facing opposite directions away from each other.

"Where's Lucas." I said in greeting.

It was Ash who turned to answer me, not surprising me at all.

"I'm right here." Lucas called, stepping into the hallway. Ash who was about to answer me closed his mouth and returned to his resigned self. Lucas too noticed the tension in the room and gave a questioningly look. I shrugged in response.