A Talk to the Doc

"These colors that I see shining the brightest

Were all stained by the hands of the shameless

In one final purge dispose of your affliction,

To mend what's left and achieve what you envision.

Regrowth, regeneration."

"Sweetest Poison" by Texas in July

••

"I don't want to do this anymore." I look down at the remote in Peeta's hand.

"If you wanted to you would have done this a long time ago." He says briskly, making me glare up at him and him just smile smugly down at me. I roll my eyes and sink further into the couch.

Here we sit, on my living room couch, as Peeta sets up my video chat setting for me to finally, finally, "finally" talk to Dr. Aurelius. It's been three days since Peeta and I's official date, and the days between then and now have been full of Peeta convincing Katniss to talk to the professional.

I did not agree.

Until he made me agree.

With promises of cheese buns.

How could I say no.

I watch his long fingers press the buttons on the black remote, and I find myself getting more and more nervous.

"Peeta, can you stay?" I ask quietly. He stops moving and looks down at me.

"Why would you want me here during a private session of yours, Katniss?" He asks softly. I shrug.

"He can't get mad at me while you're here," I murmur. He sighs.

"We talked about this Katniss. He will not be mad at you, I promise." He says soothingly, but I still have trouble believing that. Why would he believe that? He's not the one who hasn't talk to our doctor in a million and one years.

"It's easier answering questions with you," I say quickly, scootching closer to him. He sighs and looks down at me sadly.

"Then it's not your meeting. It's my answers, which might not be what you're feeling. You need no distractions and nothing influencing your answer." He pats my knee. "I'm sorry you don't like this. If I could stay I would. But he won't think kindly of that. Anyways, I feel like he may talk about me though." He winks. "I don't need to be here for that." I flush, looking at my lap. He stands up, turning and poising ready to press 'run' on the remote. "I'm doing it."

And then he does.

He hands me the remote hurriedly and I start to panic.

"I'm at my house if you want me after. Come by whenever."

"W-wait!" I exclaim, flying up. "Please don't leave, Peeta," I croak. He stops moving, his face softening as he rests his hands on my shoulders.

"I promise you, he won't get mad. He's been nothing but understanding the whole time, and I promise he'll be the same with you." He runs a hand through my hair. "I promise, Katniss." My eyes water but I quickly blink then away. I can do this. He wraps his arms around my body, pulling me into a tight hug, which I greedily accept as my own arms go around his neck.

There's a fizzy noise behind me.

"Peeta? How are y-oh! Hello, Katniss! Lovely seeing you again." I leap away from Peeta, looking up wide eyed at the projector.