Falling Painfully

"Cause falling in love is so hard on the knees"

~Falling in Love is Hard on the Knees by Aerosmith

Chapter 6.

"They're being so stupid," I say, shuffling over to my kitchen table while swirling around the contents of my bottle.

"They're being young, Haymitch." Sae chuckles, looking out the window I was just a moment ago.

Katniss has gone in and out of her house about six times now, with either a different hair style, outfit, or both.

I roll my eyes at the worried expression on her face.

"Well she can't be too forward!" Sae tells me once she sees me roll me eyes. "She wants to be casual, but not too casual!" She explains. I scoff. "Haymitch, they'll get too it eventually." She says softly. "This is the time for flirting and foreplay."

"Gross,"

"Stop it. All they need is time, Haymitch. Time to learn to trust,"

"Which they have,"

"Time to grow back as friends,"

"Which they have have,"

"And time to just let whatever may happen, happen."

"Well enough flirting! I-"

"It's not just flirting. She snaps. "It's fear of being hurt for the zillionth time, don't you understand that?" She finishes softly. I close my eyes and let my head fall back.

"Of course I understand that. I just," I mutter. "I just want them to be happy." I mumble quietly enough for her to hopefully not hear me. She smiles softly.

"Believe me, Haymitch. That's all I want for them at this point. They deserve it more than anybody I know." She smiles fondly somewhere past me. "Let what happen, happen Haymitch." She then looks out the window, smiling softly. "I think they both have a pretty good grip on what they're doing here."

I roll my eyes.

"I'll believe it when I see it."

~Katniss POV~

I stand, face to face with Peeta's door. I rub my hands together as the freezing chill of October bites at my exposed skin.

One month since Peeta came back. Things have been mixed, good between us, not so good in our mental stabilities. But he claims it's part of our healing. So I force myself to believe him and like Sae says, let what happen, happen.

I'm drawn back to my senses as a burst of wind whooshes through the air, chilling me to the bone. I shiver and wrap on the door three times. About ten seconds later it swings open, revealing a smiling Peeta.

"Katniss! Come in, you're freezing!" He exclaims. I nod hurriedly and speed walk inside.

"You've got that right." I laugh, my teeth chattering slightly. He chuckles, rubbing my shoulder in a friendly gesture. No matter how innocent it's intended to be, I get tingles rushing up my arm.

Cut it out, Everdeen.

I smile up at him as he leads us into the dining room.

"So what have you been up to today?" He says as we sit and he pours me a glass of water. I smile in thanks and shrug.

"I went out to the woods today." I say as he cuts me a slice of turkey. He looks up.

"Hunting?" He says softly. I avoid his gaze and shake my head, pretending to be fascinated with the corn bowl.