'Daddy' Returns (Part A)

PART 1

#5 (Jane)

"Jane, can you hear me? Baby, answer me, are you alright? How are you feeling?"

My eyes felt heavy, and I tried to push them open but it took too much of my effort and it wasn't worth it. I felt too tired and miserable, with an ache allover my body. My right ear rang. The buzz told me something was wrong with it. But... what could that be?

"Baby please, answer me Jane! I can't stand having you dumb like that. I need to know how you're feeling!"

"Fine, Jared. I'm fine. Lemme be."

"One question. You're tired? We need to get a report you know."

I thought everyone would be miserable without me awake and speaking so just to fill the emptiness up ....

"One minute, and I'll get up."

There was an impatient silence behind my eyelids. I let my conscious mind get over with the newness of my pain. Two minutes passed and I got up, like an elegant clown.

"Jane!" I watched as Jared obviously wanted to hug me and approached but stopped mid track because he knew he couldn't. BTW, I'm sure that something bad took place after I drowned in the river. Aren't I supposed to be angry with those fools then? But yeah right, I was too tired to glare at them, which was why plotting all of this in my mind was a complete utter mess for my brain.

The doctor came in through the door. He looked at me and I tried to behave like a good patient, one who knows what wrong with her but I clearly don't. I sat up straight and rested my back on the board and closed my eyes.

Unfortunately, Mr. Doctor chuckled. Nothing was funny. Was I funny?

"Ms. Mirallegro, I am quite sure you aren't feeling that bad. Just a little clumsy. Your acting was good enough, to be mentioned. But you know, you should never lie to your doctor, your lawyer, and... I forgot what was supposed to be the third one but that's not the point."

Despite the situation, I'm sure my veins were comfortable enough to make me blush. Oh, please, give me a break with that.

So I stumped my back and resumed being that elegant clown.

"OK, enough for the jokes. Jane, ready for the report?"

Um yeah. I after all needed to know what's wrong with me. Nothing serious took place, right? My luck was not the kind that those have, about whom I've always heard. Some with accidents, deaths.... It was discrimination, but an innocent one that I considered my fate to be exceptional from them, the ones with a bad fate.

The nurse came in, with a writing board and some medicines, typical of any hospital. The doctor went away as the nurse put the stuff down. I wondered where Lindsay was.

"Honey, I was so worried about you. But I guess I shouldn't trouble you with too much... Nagging, right? But it's impossible for you to find my presence troublesome." Jared gave me a mischievous all knowing look.

"Never in my dreams, sweetheart. I'm feeling clumsy, so even though we aren't at a nightclub and I ain't drunk, I dare say you look too hot for that." I flashed a grin with my eyes half shut.

Jared laughed his high, booming, masculine laugh and I was like oh my good lord his biceps.

"So I forgot how flatteringly drunk you were." He said and gave me a cute smile.

"Uhhun love birds, lemme intervene." How come this nurse was so open? Weird.

OK did we know her? Did she talk to my baby?

Speaking of baby, where is Linda, my first life? Or was she the second....

The nurse looked at me. "You indeed are undeniably cute. Your sister? She's off to the washroom for a full blown crying session." She smiled.

"Yes, Jane. We know her. She's a very kind nurse you know. She already knows all about your life."
All?

"OK, OK not all but what really counts."

"Alright, so I need to get you checked up. Just tell me first how do you feel? Anything peculiar, sharp, intense? Particularly disturbing? Constantly jabbing?"

I told how I felt and that it was all about the ache.

She kept asking more and gave me the medicines. Right then, a male peon came and inside and asked for Jared.

"Me?" Jared sounded really surprised.

"Someone's here to meet you, he says he's close to Ms. Jane and Ms. Linda."

Jared flashed another confused look. "I don't know what's come up all of a sudden but baby I'll be right back, OK?" He kissed me on the cheeks and followed the peon.

Damn was he and his T shirt ripped.

By ripped I mean he was ...hot.

I turned back to the nurse and found her already looking at me, in intense thought.

"I think I need to put it straight to you. It isn't much of a big deal but that's not what's my concern. It's you who decides how you feel about it but listen, don't freak out at all. Let me finish, OK?"

OK, I gulped. This was scary.

" While you drowned, a rock hit your head, and now your right ear's disfunctioned... But only till the day you are operated on. Till IT is operated on. Do not freak out, leave it to the hospital's hands, OK?"

So I was deaf now.

Half -deaf.

That's going to be fine after an operation.

This is not what I deserved, no. This can't be happening. I think I need to be composed. I need to calm down. I'll let it sink, I'm sure my calmness without a word or two of comfort by the nurse would be a surprise for her but I know it's nothing to be worried about. It's nothing.

"OK. Now where's my sister when I need her?"

The nurse beamed. I liked that.

Just then, the door opened and an elderly, stooping man came in. He had white hair and a short height. A kind, funny face and was more on the thin side. Grey trousers.

I hope you remember me telling about how I was forever indebted to one particular man, Mr Grayson.

And there he was!

"Mr Grayson!!"

"My dear child, here you are! Good God what bad fortune hit you.... But I'm sure you're a good fighter to it, right!" He hugged me. I was so happy he came, his presence was soooo soothing to my nerves. I just can't describe the feeling.

"So, Mr Grayson. How come you're here?"

His expression changed. He looked particularly serious and concerned. Scary.

"Umm dear, your father came."

*****
A\N:

Ahoy! You know her father had left the two sisters alone after their mother died, right? Let's see what he needed from them! And yes, Linda was nowhere in this chappy. I swear, this is gonna go highhhhhh up the mystery hill, I swear!
Bye, folks!!