Chapter 14- Caitlin

At break Cassie had a meeting so I headed strait to the toilets with Alice. I needed to tell someone I was pregnant and I thought it would be best if Alice knew first. I was also going to tell her about the mermaid thing as well she’d find out anywhere. Once we arrived, the toilets where empty and we stayed near the door to make sure we knew when somebody was there.

“Two things I need to tell you,” I started and she nodded, “Number one, you know that month when I was away.”

“Yeah,” she answered uncertainly.

“Well I was actually swimming in the ocean for a month,” I admitted.

            She looked puzzled for a minute but it’s the expression I was expecting form her until I went into detail. My doctor showed me some magic I can perform as a mermaid. I muttered something and spread my hands apart as an image formed between them. The image was of my water form and Alice’s mouth formed into the shape of an O. 

“You’re a mermaid,” she gasped.

            If I was in a sarcastic mood, I probably would have come out with, never but I wasn’t so I just nodded.

“But how?” she asked.

“Don’t really know, second thing,” I began, taking the five tests and the booklet out of my bag, “I’m pregnant.”

            She looked through all of the tests and then booklet.

“Who’s your true love?” she asked.

“Mr Thompson,” I responded.

“How are you going to raise a child at seventeen?” she asked.

            And that’s when it hit me, how was I suppose to raise a child at that age, his child. Then I started to cry, I couldn’t help myself. The thought of it was all too much.

“What’s going on here?” I asked the voice I know to be Mr Thompson.

Quickly I hide the tests behind my back. I knew Alice would do me a solid and stall well I put them in my bag.

“Nothing,” I replied, wiping my tears with my spare hand.

Walking towards the door, Alice asked, “Why did you come in here sir.”

“I thought I heard crying and I thought I’d see what’s going on, Caitlin were you…” he started but I didn’t hear the rest as by the time he had finished I was gone. 

            I hid behind a corner and soon enough Alice had joined me, we headed to the office where we were told we were supposed to meet Cassie. We flicked through the booklet when she came out.

“Alright?” I questioned.

            She nodded and we headed to next lesson, gym. We changed and were told that we were doing long distance running. I knew with my new change I would be good at this. Mermaids have brilliant stamina and strength due to constantly swimming. In the end I came first, I found a new love for running.  I spent the last half of the lesson sun bathing on the grass. Cassie joined me soon after, apparently she was big on running too. Half way through, Alice approached me, panting. She collapsed on the grass next to me in a heap whilst she caught her breath. Afterwards she took a long gulp of water before sighing.

“How did you do that?” she questioned.

“Mermaid,” I answered in a low volume so Cassie wouldn’t hear.

            She rolled her eyes and we talked on the grass for a while whilst soaking up the sun. When it was time to go in, Mr Thompson met me outside the changing rooms.

“You okay?” I asked.

“Yeah, can I speak to you after you’ve changed?” he questioned back.

            I nodded and walked inside; I rushed to dress and then met him outside. He led me to his office and we sat down. It was dinner so I grabbed my salad and started eating.

“Emily told me something earlier,” he began, “And I was wondering if you knew the answer to it.”

            I acknowledged his answer by looking at him. He sighed as he took a bite of his pizza; he was chewing for a while and then he swallowed.

“She thinks and I have to agree, that you’re a mermaid.”

            I stopped eating, I was mid through my salad by know, I stared down at it. He paused from eating as well to watch my reaction.

“I’m off out with Alice after school, I’ll meet you back around five,” I said simply.

“Do you want me to take my bag, I know you’re not really doing much last lesson,” he offered.

            I nodded and handed it to him before leaving. I felt self-conscious about him knowing and my reaction was to wrap my cardigan around me tighter. Alice met me at the next lesson and we talked for a while. Cassie was talking to some other girls through out the lesson but we made plans for the afternoon to go shopping. We were on our way out, ready to walk to Alice’s for her dad to drive us to the local city.

“What time do you have to be in?” Alice asked.

“I said five. I’m staying with Mr Thompson though; my parents didn’t trust me with anyone else. But I’m just glad you realise why I ran away,” I answered.

“Just remember, it’s eight months with the hottie, you have got to play your cards out right,” she offered.

“Too right,” I giggled at her comment.

“Excuse me ladies.”

            We separated and to my horror, Mr Thompson passed through, a smirk plastered on his face. Alice and I looked to each other with an embarrassed look on our faces. When he was out of view we both start laughing hard. He is never going to let that go. We laugh about it the whole way there.

* * *

Shopping was great, we spent a lot of money but I don’t care, I’m quite happy about my purchase.

“Alice what am I going to do,” I whispered as we pulled up the drive.

“Say something happened and go in strop and then he won’t question it,” she suggested in a whisper.

            I nodded and hugged her before going inside with my many bags. I just ran up the stairs slammed the door and laid on the bed. It wasn’t long before Mr Thompson had come to investigate; he began by knocking lightly on the door.

“Caitlin,” he called, “What happened?”

“Nothing just go away!” I called.

            I had this situation exactly where I wanted it.