Chapter 5- Caitlin

My head pounded, it was heavy to lift and my eyesight was blurry. How long was I out for? I noticed there was a bed next to me and someone had ripped the sheets off. Was Mr Thompson here, what did he see? I tried to move, but my body wouldn’t respond. I groaned. My eyes were slowly responding to me and the strong scent of antiseptic stung my nose. A smile reached my lips. I’ve always loved hospitals; there are not many places where they have to be clean and the hospital is one of the few. A woman walked in, she had long blonde hair with brown highlights and eyes to match the colour. She looked like me; she could have been my sister or my mother.

“Why do you look like me?” I asked, thinking about my image and then hers but then I thought about all of the other questions I wanted to ask, “How am I still alive? What am I? How am…”

            She interrupted me by shushing me, she assessed my state for a couple of seconds, making notes on a clipboard and then I noticed my parents sat at the side, deep in slumber. My attention averted back to my doctor when I heard the scrawling off the pen stop.

“Okay, you had severely damaged your spine and you skull. You lost one of your legs in the accident and also huge brain damage,” She informed me.

“But how is that possible, I’m fine now,” I made my answer quick and short, I knew if I babbled on she would shush me again.

“Around two weeks ago, the spirit of mermaid entered you, and now you’re a mermaid. The process has ended, that’s what all the symptoms were and the phases. Mr Thompson doesn’t know anything, we wiped his memory along with the schools and all they know is that you were in an accident when he tried to save you. Unfortuetly we couldn’t find an excuse for you wanting to stay in the building, that ones on you,” she explained.

            I processed the information, now I understand a lot of it. But why me, why did I have to be the mermaid? Is it actually true or are they trying to have a joke?

“You will transform whenever you touch water, except for during the day when a full moon is following in the evening. Also, we gave you an injection which mended any injuries you had. Leaving you with cuts and bruises so people don’t get suspicious. Any questions?” She said.

            I shook my head quickly.

“Okay, you can go when your ready, you parents are due to wake up in two minutes, we gave them a sleeping solution so they wouldn’t wake up during our chat,” she informed me.

            I nodded again; I couldn’t find my voice to speak.         She smiled and left me alone. I waited until the clicking off her heels were gone before getting up, my head turned to my parents as they stirred in their sleep. They were waking up; I stood up and stretched my muscles out. My hands combed through my hair as I tied it up in a bun, I had a temperature. A mermaid, really? I would have to test this theory out. My legs headed towards the window, as I starred out, I heard my parents groan as they wake up. I leant against the window as my Mom was the first to stand up.

“Caitlin honey, are you alright? Why didn’t you leave?” she questioned at me.

“Um,” I began, not sure on what excuse to use, “It’s my OCD, it’s just getting too hard.”

            I think that was pretty believable. My Mom wrapped me in her embrace, her sweet aroma hit me. She’s always worn this perfume, I began to cry, and everything about my childhood came rushing to me, everything that happened before, everything that happened when I was normal.

“Oh honey,” she cooed, stroking my hair.

            Dad hung his phone up and turned to us.

“That was Mr Thompson; he’s meeting us at our house. He needs to talk to us about the suicide attempt,” he said.

“I didn’t want to stay in there. It’s just, I wanted to be alone,” I muttered.

“We understand but we still need to talk about it, it’s going to be alright,” he reassured.

            I nodded to show I understood and he kissed my head, we began to walk out of the hospital. We saw the doctor along the way; she gave me a look and smiled slightly. I smiled back; I guess she’s on my side. As we left the parking lot in dad’s cop car, I began to think about everything I had been told. I mean, it could be possible, it would explain why I and the doctor look alike. But it just seems impossible. Mermaids were something mom read to me when I was a little kid, something I wished to be, not something that actually turned out to be real and now I’m one too. It just seems so far fetched.

            When we pulled up, Mr Thompson was waiting for us, mum and dad greeted him but I just headed strait in. He gave me a look, it sort of said that I wasn’t impressed but also, are you alright? My school life is going to become harder, my social life is and also my love life, if I ever start one. They followed swiftly and I headed to the bathroom.

“Where you going?” Mom asked me.

“Bathroom,” I answered, without turning around.

            Once I was there, I ran my fingers under the tap and waiting for a while. Around a minute later, my legs shimmered and I transformed. I guess they were right. The only alterations to my normal self, other then the obvious was that my hair remained down. My tail was golden but every scale was a different shade. I observed myself, I hate this, why me? A while later I transformed back when I was dry. It appeared that when I change back I was the same. At least my dry form wouldn’t be affected by it. The doctor was stupid; of course I’m not going to tell anyone, I’ll probably be forced under quarantine if they found out, I’m a freak, like I’ve been telling myself all day. I stepped out of the bathroom and headed to the living room. When I arrived, they all looked at me. This is going to be very awkward. I sighed before sitting down.

______________________________________

Like all other chapters, every story i write is always being edited. But that is the first draft, tell me what you think! :)