Chapter Nine

Tess's dark brown eyes fluttered softly as they opened, finally responding to the group of angels crowding her bedroom.

"TESS!"

"What is the news?"

"What the hell is going on?"

"Are you feeling alright?"

Questions bombarded Tess's head, which was throbbing painfully.

"Just SHUT UP all of you!" She hollered.

Paris, who had been silent all afternoon, let go of the corner of her crinkled bedspread that she had clutched anxiously for hours.

"I-I'm sorry." Tess apologised to her, smiling weakly. "It's hard to comprehend anything right now you guys, I think the people upstairs are pissed. Just give me a little while to comb through everything they sent." She said, looking at each of the Basil Children in turn.

The angels began to file out of Tess's room. Delilah stopped, noticing Paris wasn't going anywhere, still crouched on the floor, with her eyes locked on Tess.

"Paris... You should let us make sure you're not hurt." Delilah said.

Paris didn't speak.

"Paris..." Delilah coaxed.

"Seriously, Paris, please go. I'll be fine." Tess said reassuringly.

She nodded and stood up. Paris silently followed Delilah out of the door.

---

Tess simply sat on her bed, head in her hands, deciphering words and symbols and images, sent from heaven.

When she had finished, Tess stood up and marched out of her room.

Paris was still in the infirmary, where the small of her back was being bandaged tightly by Candace. Paris's face was glistening with sweat, her teeth clenched tightly. Tess walked in and watched Candace work.

"What happened?" Tess asked, staring at Paris's lower back.

"A bullet grazed her pretty bad. Thanks for getting her in here." Candace replied, not breaking eye contact with her hands.

"Goddammit Paris," Tess muttered. "Why did you stay with me?"

"Because I was worried about you." She replied, wincing.

"You son of a bitch. NEVER do that. Put yourself first, okay?" Tess sighed, frustrated.

"You know what? No. You don't get that I will always be there for the people that count. I didn't even realize I was injured until you made me leave. Because I was more concerned for you. I hopped aboard this friendship, and I will go down with it," Paris yelled, her eyes burning in pain and rage. "The end might be bloody, but the journey leading up to it has to shine on beyond the finish, and may it never fade away."

After a few moments of silence, Paris said in a stony tone, "Whatever."

---

Tess stalked out of the infirmary, fuming. She walked down the hallway towards the kitchen, where she figured the other Children were.

Sure enough, Art, Winston, James, and Delilah were sitting on the marble countertops, sipping at cans of Dr Pepper.

"What's got you so riled up?" Winston asked.

"A lot recently, I mean, the guys upstairs really are angry as shit." Tess answered.

Winston pried. "Really? What happened? What's the message?"