Wounded- Chapter Forty Three

Edited:

Published: Friday, January 15th 2016 6:46 pm

Ayah:
December 7th

At a young age I always dreamed of getting married and having a family of my own, all while juggling a writing career. And for the longest time, that was always the plan. I was going to be a writer right after college, then marry the first guy who liked my writing. Six year old me had it all planned out from start to finish. And as I sit in the exam room as quietly as I possibly can, I can't help the smile forming onto my face now that today is the continuation of my dream.

Ayah: When is the date?

Isabella: The Christamas week. I really want you to come...

Ayah: I do too. But I can't fly right now, and a road trip doesn't really excite me at this time. Too much nausea.

Isabella: You're probably right. How are you doing?

Ayah: Today is the day...

I typed back, knowing that she would understand. To anyone I could say it to, I would go on and on about finding out the gender of my baby. Just knowing what type of family member will be added to our family makes me even happier. But like any mother, a healthy baby is all I ask for, but knowing if I'm carrying my son or daughter will help us plan better. Both Jafar and I are ecstatic to learn our child's gender, Jafar more than me actually. The giant grin plastered across his face hasn't left yet. Even though he's not in the room at the moment, I can tell that he isn't going to let that smile drop from his face. And when he came through the door, I was right.

"Hey."

"Hey," I smiled, putting my phone away and rubbing my growing stomach. "Excited?"

"Understatement," He scoffed, watching as I moved my hand around my belly. "From the moment you told me you were pregnant, I've been waiting for this moment."

"And you shall not wait another second!" Dr. Green said, coming into the room with her usual clipboard and bright smile, preparing the machine for the appointment. "You know the drill. Lay back, relax, and be prepared to see and hear your precious baby."

With a giant smile morphing onto my face as well, I did what she said and laid back on the bed, pulled up my dress, and prepared for the news.

-*-

It's amazing how things you always anticipate don't go your way. From the start of my life, I've lived that lesson, I've breathed it in. But right now, today, I was expecting a different outcome.

"Don't worry," Jafar reassured me, kissing the hand I forgot he picked up, which was sitting lamely on the middle console. "Like she said, we can always try again next month."

I nodded, not quite convinced myself. A whole month. I've been prepared for months for this moment, only for there not to be any sign of the gender of the baby. Apparently this happens to a lot of people, but unlike them, we can't come back in a few days to try again, but we have to wait until the new year to place an appointment. It just seems so long, too long. I didn't even realize we turned in front of his parents house until I turned my head to look outside.

"It's okay," Jafar tried again, "It's not the end of the world. One month, that's all."

"I know, but I was really hoping to find out, you know?"