Chapter 9

Veronica

The sun shining through the curtains woke me up this morning. I just sat there on the bed wondering where the hell I was for a moment before my brain gathered all information and I snapped back to reality.

I carefully moved off the bed so I didn't wake up the sleeping troll beside me. Aka Meghan.

I could smell pancakes being cooked. Food! I quickly raced downstairs to the smell. "Mom?" I called, I had heard her voice from upstairs as she was talking loudly and cackling.

"In the kitchen Roni." I shuffled to the kitchen where they were. I appeared at the door and saw her and Nick dancing to some old songs. "Morning mama." She smiled at me. "Morning baby, here." She placed a plate in front of me filled with eggs, bacon and chocolate chip pancakes. "Thank you."

I tucked in.

I was nearly finishing my 1st pancake when Meghan came to the kitchen rubbing her eyes. "Mommy, Roni left me." I sighed. "Its okay babygirl, come eat breakfast."

Mom helped her up on the stool as they were quite high. "Here you go baby." Meghan had the same as me but with less food and more fruit. "Thank you mommy."

Mom smiled and faced to talk to Nick.  Breakfast went by and everyone went to the living room to relax.

Someone is missing.

~*~

Brooklyn

I couldn't sleep last night. It took me a while and when I did sleep it didn't last long. The events kept replaying in my head. I sighed and looked at my phone. It's 2:14pm. Wow I slept all this time and no one called for me.

Well it's a first. I got up and went downstairs. I heard the TV running. But no noise. Strange.
I reached the living room and saw everyone sleeping except from Nick and Demi. They were whispering to each other.

"Uncle Nick." He turned around and saw me standing. "Oh hey Brook. How'd you sleep?"

"Good." I eyed Demi and she grimaced as she looked at me. Am I really that horrible looking. "I'm going to eat."

They didn't say anything and just ignored me. Okay then. I got some yogurt out and fruit and granola from the kitchen. As soon as I made my breakfast, I sat down alone. Just looking around the kitchen.

Everything seems lighter here. I wish Demi could accept the fact that I'm her daughter and she is my mom.

I'll never understand why she gave me up like I was nothing.  Heck I wouldn't want me either. The family that I was with before kicked me out of their house because they were going to have another baby. After trying for years.

I was a temporary family member. Sucks right.

I was sat there a few minutes longer just staring.

Soon enough Demi came in. "We need to talk."