chapter 5: coming home

1 week later

I've had a week of rehab and i am ready to visit home, I'll need to walk with a walker since I'm not strong enough on my own yet but that doesn't matter.

Mom said she has a surprise for me at home so I'm really excited. As we pass the park i see trees and remember planting them with my girl guide group the summer before the accident, there already fully grown now. We are almost there and I'm really excited but also a bit nervous and i don't even know why.

Driving up the driveway i start shaking, the car stops and mom gets out to grab my walker from the back. She hands it to me and i make my way up the front steps. I open the door "surprise!!" everyone is here. As I'm giving hugs to them all, i see a figure run across the floor, it's a cat! I turn to mom "when did you get the cat?" i ask "a couple years ago, her name is Betty"
" how is Julie coping with having a cat around?" my moms face goes red, i should've known, Julie was already old for a dog, she couldn't of survived ten more years. my mom gives me a hug but that just makes it worse because instead of my head barely reaching her armpit, it now rests on her shoulder. I'm just about tho pull away when i notice, " mom, where's granddad?" tears pour down her face " I'm sorry honey, this was supposed to be a happy return but......" she sobs " I'm sorry, i should have told you, he died November 17th 2008" she pulls me in tight as we both cry hard. Then i realise that everyone is still here.
" mom, can i have some alone time please?"
" of coarse honey" and off I go, leaving everyone behind. i hear mom apologizing and I feel bad because they all came to see me but right now I'm not going too be very good company.
I open the door to my room, walk in and close it behind me.