C28: Formal time

The night of the formal was huge.

It took the girls at least 2 hours for all of them to get ready, perhaps even more. The turquoise dress felt like silk under Hannah's fingers. She slipped it on and walked out of the dormitory and across the hallway to the bathroom where her friends were sorting out hair and makeup. Zoe had already got ready so that she could do the other girls' hair. Her mum was a hairdresser, she had learnt to do different formal hairstyles. She was currently doing up Lilli's hair in elaborate knots and braids with red nailed fingers. Lilli's makeup was done already. Mary's hair was done and she was doing her makeup. Paula's makeup was done, she was brushing out her knotty hair. Ariana was adding a few touches to her makeup, her hair was already finished.

"Ah, Hannah," said Zoe. She looked slightly stressed but excited and still beautiful. "I'm just about finished Lill's hair, then I can do yours and Paula's."

Hannah nodded. She brushed out her straight blonde hair and then applied some light foundation and moisturiser.

Zoe pulled Hannah's wheely chair across to her and in front of the mirror. "What would you like today?"

Hannah thought. "Can you do crown braids? You know, something like a twist around the back which joins up with all of my hair, and then some curled bits at the side?"

Zoe frowned slightly, then nodded. "I can try. Can you try and find a picture please?"

Hannah grabbed her phone and unlocked it, then surfed the net for photos.

She found a photo of a blonde haired girl and showed it to Zoe.

"Sorta like this." she said. Zoe took the phone and peered at it.

"Yeah, I can do that." she said and began.

~

The six girls walked into the hall like models on their high heels, with silk dresses and styled hair.

Hannah wobbled slightly in her aqua heels, but she was determined not to fall. Ariana had expertly done her nails in ombré turquoise fading to white, Zoe had placed a tiny aqua and white flowers in her hair that she had found in the back garden of the boarding house, and Mary had let her borrow some dangly earrings that were white and turquoise beads. She was almost totally aqua. She felt really special having friends who made her look and feel good about herself.

Their gym was set up as a dining hall, round tables had been placed around the room for dinner, decorations such as balloons and flowers were everywhere, and the tables would be cleared for dancing later. Hannah had been told that the dance was traditional, so they had stuck with it.

Hannah looked around for Will. They had been talking a few days previously, and Will had asked her to save a dance for him. She felt as if what he was saying was more genuine than them just being friends, something in his tone made her wonder.

Will looked around the room for Hannah. She had promised him a dance. How she had smiled and accepted enthusiastically had made him think more about whether she liked him or not.

They both spotted each other at the same time, and walked over to each other.

"You look... beautiful." commented Will.

"Why, thank you. You yourself look very handsome." Hannah smiled as they continued to talk and waited for the teachers to seat them, walking around the room to find drinks.

Lilli sighed. "I just wish they would hurry up and get together already!" The girls nodded their agreement.

A teacher spoke up and asked everyone to be seated, they could choose where they liked. Hannah went to a table with Will, Sophie, Tilly, Trina, Zack, Jacob, and dragged Lilli with her, assuring her that the 'popular people' weren't nearly as bad as she thought they were. Lilli eventually complied seeing as Jacob was there.

After a lovely dinner, the dancing began. Will took Hannah's hand and they slow danced to the live music playing on the stage.

Hannah smiled and closed her eyes as she rested her head on his shoulder. She didn't really care if the weren't a couple, they were close friends, and she hoped never to wreck that relationship.