Chapter 17 - Sleeping Beauty

Hinata opened his eyes to himself running as fast as he could down an unfamiliar street.  He hadn't seen who was in front of him, but he wasn't scared.  The hand was warm.  It felt protective.

His coal black hair swayed slightly in the breeze from running so fast, as he lead Hinata into a massive green area constructed of beautiful flowers and towering trees.  They started running down the main path, which was about 5 metres wide, with benches on either side.  It looked like they were running through an arch of mystical forestry, and it warmed Hinata's heart.

Hinata fixed his eyes back onto the back of the persons head and he opened his mouth to speak.

Kageyama...

He thought he had spoken, but his lips hadn't moved.  Emotion was welling up inside of Hinata once more and he couldn't even say the name of the person in front of him. Kageyama had stopped in the midst of the park, out of breath, and still facing away from Hinata.

The sky was illuminated by the twinkling lights that hung beneath the tree canopy.  The light shone on the flowers around them, reflecting the beautiful colours that bloomed within the flowers.  Only a few people walked past them, most of them being couples.  Hinata looked behind them to see if anyone was following them, and sighed in relief as the path was clear of angry 3rd years.

By the time he turned around, Kageyama was standing up straight, looking back at Hinata. 

Hinata's heart felt like it had just skipped a beat.  He knew he liked Kageyama... But he had never taken direct notice to such small features of Kageyama before. 

They stood about half a meter apart, and unlike last time, Kageyama's height now felt protective.  His shoulders slouched slightly, and Hinata knew that was because he didn't like being significantly taller than everyone else.  His eyes casted back the light from around them, turning his eyes into a beautiful ocean of deep blues.  It felt as if Hinata couldn't unlock his eyes from his, but he didn't mind that one bit.  Above his eyes was his straight, but somehow messy fringe. Hinata felt like a shy school girl asking her crush to prom.  Except he wasn't a shy school girl.  And this wasn't prom.  In fact, he felt like it was something a lot more important.

"You... you look nice.... thank you, for that..." Hinata spoke quietly, his face feeling hot  from directly complimenting Kageyama.

"W-what? Dumbass... that's what I was meant to say." Kageyama ignored the thank you and started to blush, but put his right hand up to his face, trying to cover it up.

Hinata felt as if he had woken up from a 100 year deep sleep.  He felt as if he had seen the sun for the first time.  He felt as if everything was in colour. 

Here he was, worrying about how things were going to turn out, and not understanding everything properly, when all he had to do was see things from Kageyama's perspective.  Hinata loved Kageyama a lot, but he couldn't understand why Kageyama loved him back.  But what he had just said felt sincere and earnest.  Hinata imagined that the amount of emotion he felt toward Kageyama was the same amount Kageyama felt towards him, and his heart fluttered at the thought.  Was this how Kageyama felt?

Hinata suddenly felt the urge to know for certain how he felt,  and no words could cover what he was about to do.  99% of his body was pulling away, trying to get to safety, but the 1% he trusted,  thinking that everything might be okay.

Before Kageyama could say anything else, Hinata's hands instinctively grabbed hold of his t shirt collar and pulled Kageyama down.  Despite his hands being warm, Kageyama's face felt cold, close to Hinata's.  Kageyama opened his mouth to say something, hesitated for just a second, but it was to late. Hinata kissed Kageyama gently, still holding his t shirt softly.  A few seconds past, and their lips parted, Hinata loosening his grip on Kageyama's t shirt. 

Kageyama's face was rosy red, his eyes looking around nervously to see if anyone had seen them.

"W-w-what was the for d-dumbass.."

Hinata took a deep breath, before talking.  He actually couldn't believe what he had just done, but it was too late now.

"Can we... can we just forget about everything that's happened up to now? This has all gone terribly wrong, and its mostly my fault.  I don't want this to end up like this.  I want it to end up with us being happy.  I want to go out with you on the weekend and laugh and enjoy myself.  I want to enjoy your company.  I want to enjoy just sitting next to you.  I don't want to have to worry about all these petty things just because my brain is telling me that there's a 5% chance of something bad happening.  So that's why I kissed you.  Because I guess, if you didn't like me, you wouldn't be here anymore. And you wouldn't have bothered to save me back there."

Hinata's eyes were still fixated on Kageyama as he spoke.  Kageyama's eyes glassed over as tears started to form in his eyes. Hinata looked down apologetically.

"I'm sorry if you didn't want me t-"

Before Hinata could finish, Kageyama's hand reached up to hold Hinata's small face.  Kageyama lent down and pressed his lips to Hinata's.  Hinata stood there in surprise before raising his hand to hold the side of Kageyama's hoodie. They stayed like that for longer than last time, both of them welling up with happiness.

Kageyama let go of Hinata's face and wiped away the forming tears in his eyes.  He let his hand drop back down to his waist, and smiled warmly at Hinata. 

Hinata took that as Kageyama's reply, and felt so relieved he didn't know what to do next. But he had one more question to ask.

why?

 Kageyama spoke, as if answering Hinata's inquiry.

"I just wanted to make sure the person I love knew what they deserved." Kageyama's mouth widened even more into the unique type of grin that was only shown on people that were truly happy, with no sadness in their hearts.

Hinata felt a new beginning; as if none of the past mattered.  As if it had all been a dream.  As if he had only now woken up to reality. 

He subconsciously took hold of Kageyama's hand as they walked down the winding path, out from under the fairy lights, and out into the world that Hinata now saw differently. 

Because this world was completely different to the one in his dream.

~~~~~~~~~

(can't wait to write the next chapter ahah ;3;)