devils night #1

It had been a whole week since she last saw James...and the Countess come to think of it. However, she knew what day it was and she knew she was bound to see him at some point from what Liz had told her...it was devil's night.
She wandered down the halls of the hotel before spotting a familiar face from a few nights back.
"Joh-detective?" He turned at her voice and seemed to not recognise her for a moment.
"Oh hello Miss,Urr you didn't happen to see a small boy with blonde hair running through the halls did you?" He questioned.
The Countess's children.
"No,sorry. Did you loose someone?" John looked at the ground.
"Not exactly uuur long time ago. Guess it's PTSD." He smiled, that kind of heartbreaking smile shed only seen one other person do.
"did you wanna talk about it?"
"I barely know you" He chuckled,Katherine blushed slightly at her stupidity.
"Sorry...so what brings you back here detective?"
"I was invited to some party thing, don't suppose you know anything about that" He walked closer toward Katherine.
"Can't say I do, I'm sorry" It was a shame,Katherine liked John and whatever James wanted with him clearly wasn't going to end well.
"Hmm well good talking to you Katherine."
"You too John."
.
.
.
"You should really go!" Liz cooed in Katherines ear as she sat at the bar.
"Liz no."
"Oh come on, you where invited."
"I already told you no, and besides I told that detective I didn't know anything about it." she replied shaking her head. Liz leaned toward her.
"ooooh I smell some mystery. I thought you wanted to know what James wanted with John."
"I do, but instead of risking my life and morals I was planning on not going and you just telling me instead." Katherine eyed Liz who winked.
"Sorry sweet but I was sworn to secrecy, you'll just have to ask the man himself." Katherine let out a sigh. Why would he invite her,he knew how she felt about his hobby and he also knew that she didn't want him anymore...so why the invite?

.........

She could hear the classical music playing from down the corridor as she swiftly walked to the room in her knee length red dress. It was devil's night after all. She still couldn't shake the feeling that this was a bad idea,but she had to know what James was up too and he clearly wanted her to know aswell.
She knocked gently on the door and after waiting a few seconds walked in to see some men and one rather masculine looking women chatting and laughing away. Then there was John, amongst them all looking slightly uncomfortable. His eyes caught mine and he darted over.
"Katherine, what are you doing here? You said th-" She cut him off.
"I know,I didn't realise you meant this party." She lied, clearly the most awful lie he had ever heard but he played along.
"Ahhh were all here now!" John and I both turned to see James in his spotless suit,curtesy of Ms Every of course.
"Please sit where your name card is." He continued.
Katherine and John both made their way over to the formally laid out table and took their seats. Katherine was next to James and a messy black haired man, whilst John was opposite and adjacent to the other side of James.
"Now,let the fun begin"