Memories

1945
James had been infactuated with Katherine since the very first moment he saw her on the dance floor.
Their relationship was strange , a kind of love was shared between them but they where never intimate, nor had they kissed. James, wanted this to change, he needed it to change. He wanted to hold her ,kiss her and tell her he loved her. So, he'd planned a dinner for the two, nothing was going to be out of place...not tonight
Knock.knock.
James adjusted his tie and slicked his hair one last time in the side wall mirror before opening the door.
"Miss Katherine"
Her blonde hair was curled to the side ,she wore a figure hugging black dress and had a huge smile stretched across her face.
"Mr March" She giggled causing James to grow a smile also,perhaps bigger than hers.
He ushered her into the room and then escorted her to the candle lit table.
" Im thrilled to have your company tonight miss" James pressed his wine glass against his lips. Katherine flipped her long blonde hair behind her shoulder and took a drink also.
" I must say I wasnt suprised when I got your invitation James. We both know why Im here" Katherines eyes where glimmering, she was like a fragile creature to James, something that needed to be treated gentley and with love.
"I didnt realise I was that transparent" he chuckled.
"Youre not, just to me" she added quickly. He loved her little remarks, these always made him feel special...it amazed him how someone so pure could be attracted to him.
Bang!
Katherine turned her head toward the bookcase and then darted her sight back toward James.
"Did you hear that?" She asked. James knew exactly what it was.
"Hear what?" He lied, setting down his glass.
Bang!
"That" Katherine lifted herself off the chair and walked toward the bookcase. James follwed.
"Katherine, sit back down darling" he said, his inner voice pleading with her.
Bang!
"James, whats behind the bookcase?" There was no going back now, he knew Katherine and she was not one to let things go easily.
"Mrs Evers!" James yelled, the maid appeared. "Open the bookcase" Mrs Evers gave him a questioning look but oblidged.
James grabbed Katherine by the waist and dragged her into the room. "Mrs Evers, leave us." She did.
Katherine screamed and tried to push James off her, but he wouldnt budge.
She looked up to see the source of the banging and screamed even louder.
A man was hanging from the ceiling in chains with his stomache half open, he was still alive.
"Shhh my dear shhh" he wheeled Katherine around to face him. "You need to be quiet, you have one chance" he released her slowly. Katherine tensed but released another scream, James grabbed her mouth and pulled her into another tight grasp.
"Miss Katherine, can you not just listen to me for once" he stroked her hair.
"Heres what I am going to do darling. Im going to give you a knife and with that knife, Ill give you two choices. 1- you can take it and ram it through that mans heart. 2-you can take that knife and ram it through me" he let go of her hair and mouth, walked toward a woodern surface, picked up a kitchen knife and handed it to Katherine. James considered this an experiment.
She was shaking at this point, what was he doing? She took the knife from his hand and looked toward the man and then back at James.
Her heart was beating like a humming bird in her chest as she approached the man in chains. She lifted the knife up and took a final look at James. She put the knife to her own throat.
Bang!
Katherine was on the floor with James on top of her.
"What the hell is wrong with you! I gave you a choice!" James hissed pulling himself off the floor. Katherine placed her hand on her neck, it was barely grazed. James had knocked her to the floor before any damage had taken place.
"Why are you doing this James?" Katherine pulled herself off the ground only to be shoved up against the wall.
"Why did you have to look behind the bookcase Katherine!?" He yelled in her face, Katherine wasnt shaken any longer...James wouldnt hurt her.
"Did you do this Jamie?" She spoke in a soft tone to try and calm him. However, he gave her no answer and just looked down at the floor.
She put her hands on his face.
"James" she whisperes,his head lifted to her blue gaze.
"I can fix you" she rubbed her thumb over his cheek.
The next few seconds where bliss, her lips tasted of blood and wine. Rather poetic really.
"I promise baby"