Chapter 10

Simons Pov

As I stand here, smoke filling my eyes, full of confusion, I hear a near crackling noise, coming from the forestry behind me.

I turn to see an alpine figure tearing away from the woods.

It has to be-

"Simon?" A low grumble.

I shine my flashlight on the shapes face. A dark haired pissy minor, immediately throws his hands over his eyes protecting them from the sudden light. "Derek!"

"Yeah. Now put that vision assassin away."

I laugh. But again rest the light on Derek's body.

He opens his mouth to discipline me again, but swallows his words, realizing the light isn't projected on his face.

I look down at his legs. And when I do my jaw instantly drops, and my eyes dilate and I am appalled.

Derek's left knee has muscles and veins inching their way out. His bone peeking through blood and bits and pieces of skin that remain. It's too gruesome. I have to look away or I'll go into shock.

"Derek what the hell happened!"

"I'll explain that later, where's Chloe, Dad, Tori and Ned-"

"Nate," I say under my breath.

"Oh I'm sorry is remembering his name gonna help find everyone or put out the enormous fire two feet behind you?"

"Whatever. Everyone went searching for you and Lauren since you'd been out for so long."

"Oh. We would've been-"

"Don't tell me you would've 'been fine' Derek! Look at your knee! For once please put yourself first."

He looks away.

"Where's Lauren, and what happened to you?"

He looks back. "Simon we don't have time for this. We need to deal with these problems. Let's stifle smokey over here first."

"Derek, what happened? Where is Lauren? Two simple questions."

"I don't know where Lauren is. And she shot me in the knee. Are we clear now?"

"No we're not clear now! You just said you got shot!"

"In the knee."

"That doesn't make it any better."

He escapes our eye contact again,
staring at the flames that linger behind me.

"Fine." He rips the sleeve off his navy blue sweater, then ties it around his leg. Putting pressure on it.

"That'd be alright if it was a tranq shot or a minor wound. I don't know if you've seen your knee, but it's falling apart."

He winces softly, "I know."

"Well we need to find Lauren so she can treat you with the medical attention you desperately need!"

He snarls.

I shine the flashlight on his face, it's turning Snow White. I really need to call for Lauren.

"Don't you da-" his last hiss cut off by a frightening welcome into unconsciousness. His body lies limp on the ground.

"Shit!" I have to do something.

"Lauren!" No response. "Lauren! Someone help!" One again no response.

"Please!" I have to do something fast to stop the bleeding- if I can. Well I'll only find out if I try. I need a first aid kit. It's in the the van.