Chapter Nine

It took about a moon for the clan to finally settle down after the battle. Everyone was still uneasy, and everyone seemed to be glancing over their backs. Sagestar was doing better, but not enough to join back on patrols. Nightbranch hadn't healed, he had a nasty scar on his neck that didn't want to get better. Every other cat seemed to of gotten back, but each of them seemed to be scarred mentally. Owlpaw was sitting beside Greyclaw, curled up together and sharing a rabbit. Silvermist sat with Rainheart, the two of them talking in quiet whispers. Foxkit was her normal self again, and even Thunderkit started to play some.

Salmonleaf padded over to Sagestar, settling down beside her. "We should talk.." She said quietly, her soft tone was gone. Sagestar blinked and looked up, not saying anything. "Nightbranch won't get better..his wounds are...too deep. Even if he has a chance to get somewhat better, he won't be able to keep doing is warrior duties." Salmonleaf said flatly. Sagestar looked over to Thunderkit and Foxkit playing. "I feel like i'm doing everything wrong..." Sagestar said softly, but Salmonleaf didn't reply.

---

Sagestar was too tired to pad up on her den, but she did it anyways. Her paw steps felt weak, but she did her best to balance. Eventually she had to sit down, not being able to stand fully. She called her clan to gather, and soon she spoke. "I have not wanted to do this, and if that battle never happened I would not have to. But the moon is rising, and it is time for me to pick a new deputy. Nightbranch is too wounded to keep being my deputy." Mews of shock rung around the clearing, and Sagestar was too tired to silence them. She waited for awhile, letting the yowls turn to quite mumbling. "I say this under Starclan's watchful eyes. Tigerfur, you will be my new deputy." The tom blinked and then dipped his head. "Thank you Sagestar, I will try my best, and I hope Nightbranch gets well enough to approve your choice." Cats cheered his name, and Sagestar wobbled down.

Sagestar was about to turn back into her den if it hadn't of been Tigerfur who padded up to her. "Owlpaw's warrior assignment is at dawn, I will tell you how it goes." Sagestar blinked and nodded. "Of course." She mumbled before tiredly padding to her den. She rested her head on her paws and wrapped her tail around herself. She was too tired to think about anything, so she simply fell asleep.

---

"Owlfeather! Owlfeather!" The clan cheered for the new warrior. Owlfeather puffed her chest out proudly. Sagestar watched with tired eyes before turning her head. "We will also have new apprentices. Foxkit and Thunderkit have reached the age of six moons and they are ready to become apprentices." Cats watched eagerly, wanting to know if they would get one of the leader's kits. "Foxkit, from this day on, you will be known as Foxpaw." Her tail flicked and she spoke. "Snowheart, you will be given Foxpaw as an apprentice, I hope you teach her well." The two happily touched noses. She then turned to Thunderkit, who was sitting calmly. "Thunderkit, from this day on you will be known as Thunderpaw. Your mentor will be Skywing. I hope he teaches you all that he knows." The two also touched noses, and then the clan happily cheered.

Sagestar noticed Nightbranch was sitting at the entrance of the elders den. He had been made an elder that morning, and the tom was shockingly fine with it. Before the leader could pad over, Wolfpelt trotted over and nuzzled him. She signed and glanced over to Silvermist, who was padding over to her. "Our kits are finally apprentices." He purred happily. "I'm glad, they can be a pain in the tail sometimes." She purred happily though, her tail flicking. "The clan is growing, Sageclan is growing." She said softly, breathing in Silvermist's warm breath.