Chapter Nine: Secret Desires (Chade P.O.V)

She leaned closer and half closed her eyes. She was going to kiss me! I pulled back, and she let go, embarrassed. Her face was bright red, and I felt bad.

"I'm sorry, I just, I can't," I said, fading into the shadows.

I needed to get away. I felt so embarrassed, and I was mad at myself for doing that to her. I heard her call my name, but I kept going. I finally stopped at the edge of the woods by the cliff. I screwed it all up. It's just, I don't even have a face, and yet she tried to kiss me. It was strange, and I kinda freaked out. It was all new to me after the centuries. I was just so confused.

I sat at the base of a tree and held my head in my hands. I blew it. She would never see me again, and I would lose my only friend. I had never felt so useless before, and I had never been so confused. Why did this happen to me? I know it's my own fault. If I hadn't agreed to answer her questions, I would never had fallen in love.

Love. The death trap of feelings, the torture chamber of the heart. That is, if I have a heart. I'm pretty sure I do, otherwise I wouldn't have fallen in love. Do I need a heart for that? Maybe I just need a brain for that. But I would need a heart to pump blood and run my brain. Darnit, I was being too scientific. Deep down, I knew I wanted her, I wanted to hold her, to comfort her, to be there for her. I loved her. But I could never be what she wants me to be.

I have no face, so she can't kiss me, and I can't smile. I couldn't do anything to make her happy. Why she loved me, I don't know. It was probably because everyone else hated her. I bet if another human loved her she would opt for him. She deserves better than me. I sighed and leaned back against the tree. I was such an idiot sometimes. I didn't look up when I heard a rustle in the bushes. I knew it was Violet without even looking.

"Chade," she said gently, sitting down next to me.

I ignored her, staring at the ground.

"Chade, I'm sorry if I was going too fast. I still wanna be together," she said.

"Really? After everything I screwed up?" I asked.

"Of course. I love you," she said, wrapping her arms around me. I was shocked.

"Violet, that's the first time you've told me you love me," I said, surprised.

"Well I didn't see the need for it, I thought you already knew," she said, smiling.

She put her head on my chest and sighed happily.

"I love you too," I said, wrapping her in my arms.

I wanted to kiss her right then and there, but I held back. I tensed and got up. I sensed another presence. I slipped into shadow until I found my target. I crept up behind him and waited for him to turn around. He stared into my face, his eyes wide with shock. I waited for him to run or pass out, but he just stood there.

"Damnit, you're supposed to be scared," I said angrily, lashing my tentacles of shadow.

He was a young man with blonde hair and orange eyes. Strange. Was he like Violet? He smirked.

"You must be Slenderman. I heard you were scary, but I don't know the feeling. I was drawn here because of the tales. I thought maybe you could finally scare me, to show I'm human, but it didn't work. I'm Flavus, by the way. Named for the color of my eyes," he said casually.

I stared at him angrily, and I was about to say something, but I froze. Violet deserves better, and this guy is perfect for her. We could still be friends, she gets someone who is just like her, and everybody wins. This guy's a miracle.

"I have someone I'd like you to meet," I said, slipping into shadow and going back to Violet.

She stood when she saw me.

"No time to explain, just come on," I said, taking her in my arms and carrying her to Flavus.

I set her down in front of him when we got there.

"Flavus, this is Violet. Violet, this is Flavus. He's just like you," I explained.

Her eyes widened. "Really? Wow, cool!" she breathed.

They began to talk, and they started walking away. I started to think that maybe I had made a mistake.