Chapter Twelve: Determination (Chade P.O.V)

congrats on 300 reads! you guys are great! you guys get an imaginary gold medal as a reward! good for you. so yeppers, thats it. byes. :p

                                  *~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~* 

      I tensed when I saw Violet coming back, Flavus being dragged with her. I noticed the gash in his chest and immediately guessed what had happened. She gently set him on the forest floor and ran up to me, crying into me. I knelt down so I was only about six inches taller.

"It's all my fault," she sobbed.

I squeezed her tightly to me, whispering that everything would be alright and that it wasn't her fault. She began to calm down after a while and eventually stopped, but she was miserable. I looked over at Flavus.

"Let's give him a proper burial," I suggested, hoping to make her feel better.

She nodded and watched as I picked him up and carried him to the cliff. I dug out a hole big enough for him while Violet cleaned him up. We slipped him into the hole and we each said a few words about him. Violet broke down as I began to bury him. I picked her up and hugged her to my chest, carrying her home. She fell asleep before we got there, so I laid her down on the mattress she had brought with her when she had said she wanted to live here. She had also brought a stuffed animal bat. It was well loved, and she said her parents had given it to her. I put it next to her and sat down, thinking. 

She had explained the letter and everything to me. He must have been a total nutcase to do that. Did he really love her, or did he just love the fact they were alike? Too late to find out. I closed my eyes, forcing myself to sleep, hoping it would help clear my mind.

                              *~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~* 

  When I woke up Violet was gone. I shot up and tried to sense her. I melted into the shadows and found her holding a couple of pages in her hands. She already had four, so that left three. I had to stop her. I appeared in front of her. She looked up, determination burning in her eyes.

"I will not stop. I know that's why you came, but I have to know. Nobody has ever collected them all, right? Well I will. For Flavus. We had always wondered what it would be like to have them all. I'm not doing it for me, I'm doing it for him," she said, walking past me.

I followed her. I've never seen her like this. I watched as she collected two more pages, and it was then that I stopped her.

"Stop. Don't do this. If you really want the last one, please wait," I begged.

She sighed and nodded. I lifted her to my shoulder and walked back towards home. Why would Flavus want those pages? Maybe he knew more than he should've. She flipped through the pages while I walked. I could tell which ones she looked at. I had a strange connection to them. I set her down and sat down. She climbed into my lap and leaned back against my chest.

"What do you think these mean?" she asked

"They probably mean that I'm a monster," I said, shrugging.

She playfully shoved me.

"You're not a monster," she said.

She twirled her hair sa she read. The pages were horrible, yet I had to guard them. Stupid curse. I watched her sort through the pages over and over again, thinking of possibilities until she passed out. I tucked her into bed and got up. I visited Flavus's grave. It was raining outside of the woods.

"Oh Flavus. You really tried, didn't you? You tried to give her a normal life, but you didn't understand. She didn't care about that, she just wanted to be happy," I murmured.

I gave him my respects and turned and left. When I got back Violet was up and looking at the pages again. She looked up when I was close. 

"I think I have a theory about the curse, but I need the last page," she said.

My heart went through the roof. I might have a chance at breaking the curse.