Chapter Eight: Searching For Secrets (Violet P.O.V)

I came back to the woods around midnight. I had a flashlight and my notepad, as usual. I was wearing a white hoodie and black jeans, with my usual red bow. I had my long black hair pulled back. I crept through the woods, looking for pages. I already knew where one was, so I headed in that direction, keeping an eye out for more pages. I eventually got there and picked up the page. I stuffed it into my pocket and kept walking.

Maybe these would help me find out more about his past, why he protects them, that sort of thing. I wandered into the cement tunnel and found another page. Funny, I didn't notice it before. 'Don't Look' is what it said in the same crude handwriting. His face was drawn on the piece of paper, made out to be scray. I shivered and put it in my pocket with the other one. I felt a tug in my chest, and I knew Chade had come. I took a deep breath and turned around. He was standing right behind me, his tall form flickering in the beam of my flashlight.

"Hey, Chade. Funny meeting you here," I said nervously.

"I thought I told you not to read those," he said, eyeing my pocket.

"I know, and I'm sorry, I was just really curious," I apologized, looking at my feet.

He sighed and bent so he was at eye level.

"It's okay, just no more," he said.

I nodded and took his hand. We walked to his home and settled down, looking at the stars. I fell asleep against his chest, thinking about the pages.

*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*

A girl was in a bed, looking very pale. She was staring at the wall, her cheeks flushed. That's when I noticed the man next to her. He was looking down.

"I'm sorry, Laura, I really am. She had asked me, and I didn't say no because I didn't want to hurt her feelings. Besides, why should I punish her when I was able to go to the ball? I was going alone anyways, and we're going as friends," he pleaded, desperation ringing in his voice.

She remained silent for a minute or so, when a tear slipped down her cheek.

"Chade, how could you," she whispered.

*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*~~*

I woke up with a start, slamming my forehead against something. I held my forehead in one hand and cracked open an eye. Slendy was in front of me, holding his head.

"Ow," he muttered, rubbing his head.

"Are you okay? What were you doing?" I asked, chuckling.

"You were tossing in your sleep, and so I was trying to wake you up. That's when you banged heads with me," he explained.

I nodded and got up. I wrapped my arms around his neck and squeezed him.

"I'm fine, honestly," I assured him.

He stood up, picking me up and carrying me with him.

"You want to do some scaring with me?" he offered.

I nodded vigorously. We walked through the woods and came to a stop when we came in sight of a man. He shakily held his flashlight. I quietly got down from my perch in his arms and picked up a rock. I tossed it a little ways off and it made a crashing noise. The man jumped at the noise, waving his flashlight frantically. I half-stepped out of the shadows. He turned and faced me.

"Help me," I said in a scary, child-like voice.

He took a step back, and I mentally told Chade an order. He sent up yentacles behind me and masked my eyes in shadow. On command he made where my eyes were red.

"Save me from this nightmare," I said, having him alter my voice into a nightmarish tone.

The man screamed and ran, yelling jibberish. I smiled as the shadows faded and Chade stood beside me.

"That was fun," I said.

I held his hand as we walked back to the clearing where we first met. I looked up at him and smiled. "We should do that more often," I suggested.

He nodded. He bent down and I hugged him. He pulled back a little, his face close to mine. My heart started to pound, and I turned my head slightly to the side, leaning closer.