Chapter 3

The girl stepped out of the cab and she pulled her coat closer to herself, protecting herself from the cold winds that blew in Sinclair. She put on her hoody, shoved her hands in the pockets of her coat and looked around. The place was quiet and the road only led to one landmark- the park, which looked more like a cemetery in the dark.

                She took in a deep breath and stood there for a moment, still in two minds. Should she go back? Or was this two hour trip worth a shot? Of course it was worth a shot. She had planned everything. This wasn’t a time to be unsure. She began to walk and the only thing she could hear was the crunching of gravel under her feet and the soft background music of the crickets. Entering the gates of the horrible park, she looked around. There under a flickering light near a bench, a figure moved slightly, separating itself from the darkness.

                She let out her breath slowly as she walked to the bench, her hands colder than ever. Without looking at the person next to her she sat down on the bench, obeying an unvoiced order. They sat there in the silence. She could feel the tension in the air and all the courage she had gathered slowly draining out of her. Should she speak first? If she did, what would she say? May be she should just wait for her to speak. Yes, that would be better. But how could she have possibly known she was going to be here?

                “So Chanel…” the lady made it sound like a bad word

“How do you know my name?” Chanel gasped.

“Because I know you”

“And how do you know me?”

“I’ve seen you before babe”

“Where?”

“Not important.” The woman was scornful.

“Ok, then when?”

“Not important.”

“Why won’t you tell me?” Chanel looked at her.

The woman in the black coat looked at her for a moment. Her eyes were a disturbing blue- the lightest shade Chanel had ever seen.  “You sure ask a lot of questions,” she whispered, “so how did you know I would be here?”

                 Not important, Chanel thought to herself, not daring to say it out loud. Her instinct told her that it was better to give her a proper sarcasm-less answer. She was intimidating. “My granny left me a picture of this park with your name. She’d written behind the picture “She will be there” so I’m guessing the she is you.”

                “Ten points to Gryffindor!” Her voice was cold, “Yes missy, that she is me. Though I’m surprised Semira would send you to me… Speaking of which- How is Semira?”

                “Semira is dead.” Chanel spat back, despite her nervousness, “Too bad, Isis, that you couldn’t make it to the funeral.”

                Isis was enjoying this. It had been a while since someone had spoken to her like this. “Ah, well, sorry for your loss”. To Chanel, it didn’t seem like she was remorseful at all. So instead of reliving memories this Isis reminded her of, she got to the point. “Are we just going to waste each other’s time, or can we get down to business?”

                “Whoa… Get down to business…” she imitated Chanel. Without saying another word Isis took a chit out of her bag and held it out for her. Chanel hesitated but took it from her. She was burning with curiosity and eagerness to open the paper right there and start reading but fear got the best of her. She shoved it in her pockets. “Is that all?”

                “Preeettty much. Unless you wanna hang out or something," she said, an obvious smirk playing on her lips.

“I think I’ll pass. At least I have some place I have to be”               

“Oh right. Dean must be waiting for you…” Isis smiled slyly. She almost foretold the next question.

“How do you know Dean?”

“There are a lot of things I know Chanel…” And with that Isis got up, smiled, turned around and walked into the darkness