Chapter 8

Around 6 months later……

‘Tick, Tock. Tick, Tock. Tick, Tock.’  This was all Chanel could hear. No, there was no clock in the tent, but there was a huge one in her head. Insomnia had taken over her life, and she had tried every trick in the book to make her subconscious wander to places other than the thought of what she would do once she reached her destination, but she had found no relief in the past six months. ‘I seriously can’t think clearly with three people sleeping like dogs around me,’ she thought, and slowly rose, making sure she didn’t make a noise. She knew Dean was a light sleeper, and the LAST thing she wanted now, was to wake Dean up and deal with his questions.

Successfully getting up on her feet without moving the tent, much, Chanel stepped out of it, and sat on the stool kept nearby, on which Lena had sat to cook diner, earlier that evening. Her eyes slowly adjusted to the darkness that had engulfed Pine Forest, where they had arrived just a few hours back, all ready for camping, a trip she herself had planned. It had taken a lot of time to convince the others to come camping instead of attending the LMFAO concert, but she won in then end. Hesitantly, she reached towards her right pocket and the next thing you know, she was staring at a small chit of paper which she had managed to hide effectively for the past six months. If one had to read the conversation that was taking place between Chanel and her subconscious at that very moment, it went something like this-

“Do you realise, you are jeopardising not only your own life, but the lives of your friends too? No wonder you can’t sleep at night. You don’t DESERVE to.”

“I know! I know! The last thing I wanted was for these three idiots to come with me, but I knew Dean would NEVER let me go out alone, all the way to Pine Forest. Why do they even call this place that? I can’t see any pine trees around…”

“Focus! Now that you are here, and there is nothing you can do about it because it’s too late, why don’t you actually put that pea sized brain of yours to some work and figure out how you are going to convince the others to trek all the way to the Inner forest? That’s where you have to go, right? I seriously don’t know how you are going to pull that one off, since that area is restricted, access for park rangers only.”

“Oh I’ll figure something out. But the real problem would start after we reach there. I have no idea what to do then! Isis didn’t leave further instructions…”

               Chanel suddenly heard some movement in the tent so she quickly folded the chit and shoved it back in her pocket. Turning round, she saw Lynette coming towards her. Momentarily, her eyes became wide with fear, but she collected her thoughts and waited for Lena to reach her.

“Chanel? You ok sweetie?” Lena asked sleepily, as she reached Chanel, rubbing her eyes.

“Oh, sorry Lena, did I wake you up?”

“No-No. Dean and Austin were snoring like pigs, and plus I don’t feel all that safe in a forest full of god knows what. What bit you that you had to insist upon this trip? We could have easily been losing our minds at the LMFAO concert…”

 “Come on! This is fun! You, me, Dean and Austin bonding over some camping! In fact, I was thinking tomorrow we could go all the way to the Inner Forest, check things out there….”

“I’m pretty sure the brochure of this place states that the Inner Forest is restricted, Chanel. “

‘We’ll see,’ muttered Chanel, obviously not meant for Lena’s ears.

“I’m gonna catch up on my sleep, if the boys allow me. You coming?”

“Yeah. We have a long trek before us tomorrow. We might as well get some rest...”

“Arrrrrrghh! Thanks for reminding me! I am sooooo looking forward to it!” Lena complained.

Chanel looked at Lena and laughed at her reluctance. They both then, started walking towards the tent.

                                  ********************************************************