Chapter 6

“I did the dishes Patricia, and put the clothes for washing too. Would you like something to eat?” Lynette wiped her hands on the cloth that hung on her apron. Patricia was perched up on the sofa with both her legs resting on the centre table, her laptop on her lap and her spectacles on her nose. “Yes,” she replied not looking at her. “Make me some tea, if you can, please.”

“Sure thing,” she smiled. Sometimes she couldn’t help but feel proud of her Aunt. She was just so hard working, so focused. She walked to kitchen counter and poured water in the kettle, putting it up on the stove as she smiled to herself. She had just returned from her shift at The Shack and all of a sudden it reminded her of him. Dean. The guy who she had met only a few days back, but someone she was so comfortable with. He was the first person she had spoken to so much. He was going to begin his shift at The Shack tomorrow and she inwardly wished that it would be with hers. She was supposed to be at his house at three to help him set up the place. Oh boy! Austin was going to be there too. She didn’t like him a lot. He is attractive, she thought- but intimidating. Like, really intimidating.

The water was boiling now and Lynette poured it into the mug and slipped in a tea bag, taking milk in a small jug and a bowl of sugar on the tray to her Aunt. She was positioned the same way and Lynette slowly walked in to keep the tray at her feet- literally. “Here you go,” she smiled at her, “Anything else?” She looked up from the screen and shook her head, dismissively. 

After a moment Lynette realized her second reason for visit, “Patricia,” her Aunt took in a sharp breath and took her eyes of the screen, irritated. Lynette searched for the bundle in her back pocket and held it out for. Patricia took it from her, her momentary irritation forgotten. She counted it once, twice and then looked at her in disapproval. “That’s it?”

Lynette shrugged helplessly. Her Aunt resumed typing on her laptop.

Lynette walked quietly to her room and sat on her bed, sighing a little. She looked up at the ceiling casually as she pursed her lips. Patricia was so formal. Maybe she was just stressed out at work. Yes- it had to be that. Maybe there was a financial problem and that’s what was stressing Patricia so much. Lynette looked at her hands. Maybe she could earn some more money to help her. At least she could do that much. She still had time before she started applying for colleges. Maybe she could submit some articles online or probably work in between her shifts at the shack. Or maybe she could work double shifts at the shack. Yes- that would make Edna happy. Maybe she could earn a raise this week. She wondered if she should visit the shack now and talk to her. She glanced at the clock- it was two fifteen. She could go to Dean’s house after she spoke to Edna. Nodding to herself in approval she got up and grabbed her coat, walking out to where her Aunt had been sitting. “Aunt Patricia, I’m leaving for the Shack. Is there anything you need? I can get it on my way back home,” Maybe that can make her mood. Her Aunt didn’t respond and just kept staring at the screen. Lynette waited for a few seconds to see if she looked up. But when she didn’t, she sighed inwardly, turned on her heel and closed the door behind her.

Edna was in a bad mood today. But then again, when was she ever in a good mood? Lynette had figured out by now that she wasn’t really fond of her and being employee of the month was going to be a little tougher than she thought. Edna was more than happy to let her work double shifts and she’d pay her $20 more for a day. That was good. Lynette had bought a bagel for her Aunt. Maybe that would light up her mood her a little. She walked out of The Shack and began walking towards Dean’s house. It was two fifty and she was going to be late.

There were a lot of pedestrians on the sidewalks. She looked at them casually and smiled politely at some, when all of a sudden, all heads turned to something behind her, to her left. Imitating them, she looked back curiously at what they were looking. And her breath caught.