Chapter 4

(A/N- This is a long one. Not ediited :P)

Lynette wanted to hit something. No, not something. Someone. And she knew who that someone was going to be. Edna Cole. She remembered the first day she had walked into the shack, hoping she could convince that woman to give her a job. Edna had been standing across the counter writing something in her register. She had waited for her to look up. And after fifteen minutes of waiting, she decided that clearing her throat would be of some help. The woman had looked up, her glasses on her nose. “What would you like to order?”

Anyone would have walked out of The Shack after taking in Edna’s hostility, if they had come to place an order. But Lynette wasn’t here for that. “I was hoping there was a job vacancy here” she said. The rest of the day Lynette had to explain to her how she was better than the rest of her employees, how in need she was of that job, etc. And by the end of the day, Edna made it seem like a favor she was doing for Lynette by giving her the job.

But this? This was nothing like what she had expected. She had expected a whole recap of what she had gone through to get the job. But Dean did not have to suffer that way. At all. In fact, it seemed like as if Edna was trying to impress Dean, and for some reason, this got to Lynette.

Dean had been leaning in; resting his hands over the counter, his back to her and Edna was in the same position. This was the first time Lynette had seen the witch smiling, and it was definitely a creepy sight.

 Dean turned around then and began walking towards Lynette, his mouth turned into a half smile. “You ready to go?” he said standing in front of her, casually playing with his keys. Lynette scowled at him. “So you got the job.”

“Yeah,” he said looking back at Edna, “You were right when you said you guys were desperate to get someone to fill in for… What’s it called? Ryder?”

“I said we were having trouble looking for someone. The only one desperate is Edna.” She looked at her scornfully. Dean dropped his smile and his brows came together, “Is there something I’m missing? I thought you’d be happy I got the job.”

“I am happy,” Lynette said genuinely, “But I didn’t expect you to get it so easily.  She gave me a hard time when it was me across that counter.”

“Oh, it’s not her fault,” he grinned, “With all my charm and her in the same room.”

She smacked his arm and got up. “Where’s Chanel?” she realized.

“Probably bailing out on me again” Dean looked out of the window as if expecting to find her there, “so where to?” Dean looked at her.

“The beach…” it sounded more like a question.

“Okay,” Dean nodded once. They walked out of The Shack to the parking lot where Dean’s Hayabusa stood out from the other bikes parked there. Lynette expected him to lead her to another bike. But when he stood next to it looking at her, she widened her eyes. “This is yours?”

Dean smiled, “Lynette, meet the love of my life.”

She breathed heavily, “Wow…”

“Hop on.” he said, patting the back of his seat. Lynette had never felt so conscious before. As if touching it would shatter the bike into a million pieces, she slowly sat on it, awkwardly trying to position herself without touching Dean too much, and they were off. “Guide me, ‘” he said.

“It’s easy to get there.” She looked ahead. “Just keep going straight for now.”

The way to the beach was going to be a long one. Lynette wondered whether the silence was awkward for Dean, because she was pretty okay with it. It was a comfortable silence. Not the one where two people wondered what to say next or what their reply was going to be for a question asked. Lynette had only known Chanel and Dean for a day but she was already so comfortable talking to them both. Lynette had never had friends like these. Actually, they could have been the only people she could call her friends. She enjoyed their company, and even without Chanel around, it was the same with Dean alone. The last time she had “fun” was when her mother had taken her trekking nearly a two months ago. Yes, for two months she never really had “fun” with her new family. Caroline and Patricia were not the ‘fun’ company. Not together anyway. Caroline would be home late after going out with her always high junkie friends. Patricia was hardly home- always busy with her job. She worked as a journalist in TVD News. So, Lynette had learned to entertain herself. Her Diary had been her only companion, a companion she could trust.