Chapter Three

Lauren’s Point of View

My quarters are almost the size of my entire house and fancy with all of the automatic gadgets and buttons. I take a hot shower with a rose smelling perfume, and change into black pants and a dark blue blouse. I put my hand on a box that dries, untangles and parts your hair with the current almost instantly before I go down to dinner. I focus on the food; noodles in green sauce, roast beef as thin as paper, mushroom soup, and puffy bread rolls and cheese that melts on your tongue. Someone brings out a beautiful cake that blazes up before it goes out, smelling utterly delicious. We eat the cake and watch the replays of the ceremony, and we "Ahh!" as we see ourselves, looking absolutely breath taking. I make a side note that none of the other tributes are holding hands, and I yawn after the program is over.

"Tomorrow morning is the first training session. Meet me for breakfast, but for now go get some sleep," Adrienne tells us, and we go to our quarters. As soon as my head hits the pillow, I am asleep until early the next morning.

I wake up and take a shower with a lilac scent before changing into a rich brown tunic, black pants and leather shoes. Hurrying to breakfast, I help myself to the fruit and chocolate pancakes before Niall and Adrienne arrive a few minutes later.

"Training. Do you want to be coached together?" Adrienne asks us as she finishes a bowl of berries, her eyes relaxed.

"Yes."Niall and I reply in unison, our eyes briefly meeting before I glance away.

"Excellent. Save your special talents for the private sessions. Clear?" she explains, and we nod. "Good. Now in public, I want you two by each other always."

I look at Niall in disbelief, and we start to protest when Adrienne throws a plate down and it shatters a few feet away. "No! This is not up for discussion! Now go meet Effie at the elevator!" she snaps, and we leave in silence. We travel below-ground and join the group of tributes already there to get our numbers. I see that all of the boys and easily half of the girls outweigh me, but I’m leaner and healthier than most around me. We are dismissed to the stations and I am fighting from rushing to the archery station.

Niall and I go to the knot-tying station where we stay for an hour or so before moving on to the plants station. I pass the test easily and I am surprised to find that Niall does well in this field also. We are told by the trainer that if we are not 100% sure about the berries, leave them alone and do NOT eat them. We head off to lunch, where we sit together and try to look like friends. Most of the other tributes sit alone, but the Careers huddle by each other. Whether we like it or not, the victor will most likely be one of them. Niall touches my hand, and his touch sends shivers down my spine as I meet his wonderfully blue eyes.

"Lauren, how have you been?" he asks, and his accent makes my heart race like it always had. His eyes are curious and truly caring.

"Fine, we’ve managed," I reply in a cool voice, trying not to get emotional. "How has it been on tour?"

"Good."He smiles at the other boys of One Direction, and they nod back at him. "I can’t believe this is happening to us still."

"Yeah, kind of dumb but you must’ve stepped on some pretty powerful toes to be chosen," I mumble, eating a roll slowly.

He glances down, sadness in his eyes. "I wish I could’ve done something to change this, but it looks like we go in as best friends and may the best tribute win."We sit in silence for the rest of the lunch break, and I truly hope that he doesn’t hear my heart racing as he continues to keep his hand on mine.

The next day we go to the camouflage and spear throwing station, which again to my surprise Niall excels in both of them. My throwing isn’t perfect, but for a girl my size, it’s pretty close. Back on the District 12 floor, Effie and Adrienne question us on who watches us, which I have little patience for but it must be done to help our survival. The third day the Gamemakers arrive, and pull us out from lunch, the boy tribute first. By the time the girl, named Heather, from District 11 is called, my heart is racing and I barely notice Niall’s arm around my shoulders to comfort me. Then they’re calling his name and I grip his hand to wish him good luck, and he smiles at me before he goes. About twenty minutes later, I am called and to my dismay the Gamemakers are restless and their attention is not on me.