Chapter Eleven

**"Forever Young" performed by 1D**

Alicia’s Point of View

I slide down the tree, kneeling and glancing around, keeping low as I follow the path of broken branches. I have been tracking Thread the past day and a half after he had killed Harry, which to my dismay had given a lead to his location at such a cost. I grip the knives in my hands tightly, stepping carefully over a log as I continue on. It was the day to finish these Games, and win for Liam’s sake. It just didn’t feel right, or safe, without him by my side. That bastard from District 7 had ambushed us…His friends from 3 should’ve been smarter than that. I shake my head to clear my thoughts, my focus moving back onto the mission. It wasn’t him I was tracking, it was Thread, the brute from 2, who even with his recklessness had scored a 10 in training. If I kill him, the rest of the Games would be a walk in the park…I secretly wished that the couple from 12 could win, but the rules were that only one may win.

I flinch and crouch as a loud snap in front of me brings me out of my thoughts, and I dual wield my knives as I creep forward, eyes alert and fierce with determination. I raise my head slowly, taking a few more careful steps as I see his broad shouldered build turned away from me. I glance to the left, bristling in anger as the tribute boy of 7 stretches from his resting spot at the base of a tree, snarling quietly at him.

“Thread seriously teamed up with this idiot?” I secretly think, as I see the large gash on Thread’s thigh, I know for a fact that Harry had done that. No wonder he teamed up with him; He was injured, the tribute from 7 was well-built and for not being a Career an eight in training was something to be taken seriously. I rack my brain for an attack strategy, crouching lower as the tribute of 7 walks closer.

“We need to move out,” Thread growls, and I know for sure that I will lose my chance to avenge Liam if I don’t act soon. “Only one more of those fags to finish off and then the rest of the idiots.”

I bristle in fury, and I fight the urge to stab him through the throat as his attention turns to the other boy.

“Fine with me,” the other boy says and he drops something right in front of me. He kneels and I peer though the small gap of branches, scrambling back as his face appears with a sneer. “Well, looks like one of the idiots found us first!”

I snarl and go to the offensive, slashing at his arm and scoring his bicep as I jump back.

“Stop toying with her Joshua and kill her!” Thread snaps, obviously concerned with my abilities of being a Career.

I smirk as I dodge a blow and return it, scraping Joshua’s cheek with my knife before ducking, weaving and swiping the knife across his stomach. It cuts the clothes, a faint line of red forming as he glances down to inspect the wound. I take the second to punch him hard in the face, jerking back as he lunges at me.

Thread crosses his arms, clearly annoyed. “You can’t take her down already?” he sneers, rolling his eyes. “This’ll be interesting.” He pauses, then smirks.“It’s almost as pathetic as her partner that you killed.”

He knows I know he’s talking about Liam, and he’s hit a nerve with the last remark. I should know not to dive into the fight, but I know I’ll die here as I leap towards him in a mad frenzy of dodging and swinging knives. I score two hits; one across his cheek and another on his chest before his fist slams into my face and I fly back and crumple into a heap on the dusty ground. I spit out blood, wiping my lip as he slowly approaches me and I stumble to my feet, wobbling as Joshua reaches for me. Mistake. I slice his arm clear up to his shoulder, the blood trickling as he punches me hard in the stomach, sinking to the ground as I gag to feel my ribs cracking. Agony rips through my side as he kicks me, pinning me to the ground as he glares at me, his nose dripping with blood. I manage to spit in his face before he smacks me, my cheek stinging from the blow.