Chapter Seven

Lauren's Point of View

I followed Heather into the cave, leading Niall to a soft patch of dirt and leaves that must've shifted into here during the earthquake, which had shortly stopped after Zayn's cannon had fired. I laid out my sleeeping bag and sat him down on it. I let him take off his shirt so I could tend to his wound, hoping that my blush would be hidden in the darkness. I tore a piece of his sleeve off and wrapped it around his chest and back, knowing that the wound wasn't deep even if it was seven or eight inches long. I hear Heather call out to someone, and a low, husky voice responds. I sigh and relax, thankful that it's only Harry, but then I grab and ready my bow as the pained screams follows after.

I glanced back at Niall, my instincts telling me to leave him and escape the threat but my heart pleading for me to stay and protect him with every living fiber of my being, even if it means dying to save him. He weakly smiles at me and waves me off, a sword he took from Zayn in his hands. I nod at him and dart out of the cave, running towards where I heard the scream until I hear the low voice cry out.

"Louis is dead!" I hear before my senses go numb, shocked at the news. I regain my bearings when I hear Harry start to sing softly, occasionally trailing off with a sob or whisper. I recognize "Torn", the first song performed ever by One Direction. Heather begins to quickly speak, and by her voice I know her time with her love is fading. I knew she was in love with him; she said his name in her sleep, her eyes always worried when we traveled, her fierce determination and protection over him. I smile with tears in my eyes, knowing that her final words were not meant to be heard by me.

"There's nothing left, I used to cry...Inspiration has run dry, that's what's going on, nothing's fine I'm torn," Harry cries, and I begin to hear Hetaher's breathing go ragged as her wound takes its toll. I feel too trapped in this sick event, and panic begins to creep into limbs as I rush back to the cave, my senses wide alert. As I'm running away, I hear Harry give a lone, torn and broken scream and then a blood-chilling, heart wrenching wail that will forever haunt my dreams as it echoes around the forest.

I let out a choked cry as Heather's cannon fires, rolling a rock in front of the entrance to where our location isn't discovered by our enemies before I fling myself onto the sleeping bag. I sob loudly, feeling so helpless and like a monster as I let the tears flow. I could've saved her if I hadn't been so love-struck with Niall...The thought sends sobs racking through my body. I felt his hand on my back, gently rubbing up and down as I cried. I couldn't take this anymore; I turned around and flung myself into his arms, wailing and sobbing. He seemed to be unsure of what to do next, but then as I buried my face into his shoulder, he wrapped his arms protectively around my waist. I sobbed even harder when he kisses the top of my head, his care reminding me that I could have been protecting Heather if I didn't have to take care of him.

"Hey, hey...it's alright, I've got you now. You're safe with me," he gently cooes, rubbing my back to calm me. I look up at him, tears streaming down my face and my eyes catch and hold his.

"Heather is dead because I couldn't protect her!" I cry, and his eyes are sad. "If I didn't have to tend to you, she would still be alive!"

"Lauren, just think for one moment: who would be more likely to win these Games? The odds weren't in her favor to begin with," he whispers, and I wipe my eyes with a shaky sigh as I begin to relax.

"I still could've saved her," I mumble, avoiding his eyes.

"Lauren, if you and she had made it into the final two, someone would have to kill someone. I know it hurts to think about, but it's better that someone else killed her before you possibly had to," he explains, and he lifts my chin to look me in the eyes. "You're with me now, love, and I will protect you."

"You're hurt though," I whisper, hoping he can't hear my heart racing.

He smiles and without warning, kisses my cheek tenderly, his blue eyes sparkling like sapphires. “I have you to heal me, and I never let my loved ones get hurt when they’re with me,” he replies, and at that moment, I knew I was a goner. I met his eyes as he places one hand on my cheek and the other behind my head. My pulse quickens as he pulls me close, even though I was already leaning in, and our lips touch. I blush and go to break away when Niall presses his lips harder against mine, holding me in place.

“Thank you,” he replies in a strained tone, the sorrow in his voice so raw that it stings. “I’ll take the first watch tonight, Lauren.”

I jolted out of my thoughts, back into reality, when Niall stirs and strokes a loose curl from my face, his sleepy eyes holding mine. He gets up and stretches for a moment, his muscles flexing with his movements.

“You can sleep now. I’ll take guard-duty until dawn,” he calls, and I snuggle deep into the warmth that his body had left and closed my eyes to sleep. I wake with sunlight pouring in on my face, knowing that it was mid-morning, and my rumbling stomach informing me that I needed to eat, since the last time was before the Careers attacked us. I pick up my backpack and pulled out the food I had and the half gallon of water. I eat the dried fruit slowly, occasionally taking a sip from the water container as I fuel myself for the morning.

I needed to go hunting or else we would be out of food by the evening, and we couldn’t risk hunger to weaken us for a wide-open attack. Niall eats his packages of food and I know he needs more, but he would have to wait until I got back. I grab my bow and arrows and head out in silence for about an hour, until I hear the scream that turns my blood to ice.