Chapter 5- Change in Plan

Vegas’ POV-

        I watched Hollywood, Liam and Zayn runoff into the thick brush and instantly my survival instincts were kicked into gear. I spun around and fast-walked over to where Louis and Niall were trying to support Harry, “Guys, we need to get him into the tailgate, right now.” I watched Niall and Louis struggle under Harry’s weight as Louis called out, “Yeah, because the last time he was in the back everything went so smoothly.” I rolled my eyes at him and snapped back “Just shut up and get him into the tailgate before the militia get to us; I don’t know how long Hollywood and the others can distract them.”  I grabbed Harry’s ankles as I spoke, while Niall and Louis grasped an arm each. And from there we helped him into the back of my truck, my now damaged truck. The second we were able to get his settled into the back of the truck, I spun around to see flashlights and torches, accompanied by trucks, disappearing over the hill in the direction Hollywood and the others ran into.

        I leaped out of the tailgate and yelled as I ran to the driver’s side door, “Niall, Louis, you guys stay in the back with Harry.” A million thoughts were running through my mind as I hastily opened and shut my door. I turned the keys, which were dangling from the ignition and prayed that the truck would start. Which, with my spectacular luck, it didn't; it just staled, so I tried again and again before I realized that it was no use. My adrenaline pumped through my veins as I saw the lights turning directions and coming for where we were again. I looked over my shoulder and could see Louis and Niall panicking almost as much as I was, they must have known that the militia wasn't good news.

         I couldn't bring myself to face them as I thought about the only option that would be beneficial to the most people. I opened my car side door and hopped out, not even bothering to close it behind me. As I ran to the side of the tailgate I tried to disguise the worry and panic sketched into my face. I took a deep breath and with one last look at the team of militia that was growing even closer I knew what I had to do, “You guys have to go.” I climbed into the back, ignoring Niall’s protests, “No, we’re not leaving Harry here by himself, defenseless.” He stepped around me and knelt back down so he was next to Harry.

        I looked down at Harry and then back up at Louis and Niall, “I wasn't asking, I'm telling you that you have to go. And he won’t be defenseless… he has me.” I tried to push Louis and Niall out of the tailgate, without hurting them; but even with all of the muscle that I had acquired over the apocalypse, there was no way I was going to be able to move them. I tried pushing on Louis’ back but he turned around to face me, "That's crazy, you'll get yourself and Harry killed!" The words came out harsh and bitter, he was only trying to look out for his friend. I looked up at him through narrowed eyes and said with an edge in my voice, "I'm serious, get out of the truck, now. The Militia aren't going to kill me, and Harry'll be fine." I looked at him demanding trying to get the point across. “Why can’t Niall and I stay here with you and Harry, we could-we could try and hold off the militia. Or Niall and I could carry Harry and we could all run?” He says hopefully, but it sounds strained. I shake my head and fight a smile at his heroic and naive attitude, “As long as I’m with you guys, the militia men won’t stop looking for us. And your best chance is to put as much distance between yourself and the Militia as possible.”

        I pushed on Louis’ back again, this time leaving all gentleness behind, causing him to hobble a little, “You and Niall have to go find Hollywood, Liam and Zayn. That’s your only chance.” I say as I continue to push on his back. My words coming out cruel and demanding. Finally got Louis out of the back and turned my attention to Niall, who was now being persuaded by a dizzy and injured Harry, “She’s right, mate. You guys wouldn't be able to get away while dragging my sorry arse around.” Niall tried to argue with him, but with a tap on his shoulder by me, he knew it would be no use. "I'm so sorry Harry." I looked at him, a sudden sadness taking over my demeanor as I saw the look of loss and sadness in his eyes.