Chapter 15

Not willing to give up entirely, I shut my eyes, feeling my conscience slip to the fighter behind us. The pilot was a clone, a stormtrooper as Finn had once been. For a second my heart shot out to him, he who gunned down friends because it was what he believed was the right thing to do. What we believed was the right thing to do. 

Focusing on the inner workings of the fighter hot on our tail, I slowly made my way to the controls, hoping that with enough mind power I could compromise some of the ship's control, making it an easier target for Finn, who was clearly not a very strong gunner. It wasn't long until I had messed around enough mentally in the main controls until I found a bright red wire amidst coils of black, blue, and green. Red seemed like a safe choice to pull. Of course with my luck, it probably controlled the air-conditioning instead of the self destruct button, but it was worth a shot. Quickly, I lifted my hands in front of me, both mentally and physically pulling the wire out of its socket. I couldn't tell if it had worked, as I was jerked out of my head as we came around a sharp bend, flipping over in midair. Smart. She was giving Finn a clear shot. I just prayed to the force that it would meet its mark. 

It did. Thanking my lucky stars, I leaned back against the seat, relaxing as Finn yelled in triumph. "Nice shot," I hollered, congratulating him on the victory against the First Order. I couldn't hear his muffled reply,as my mind had already wandered, latching on to a source of unbalance in the ship. It's equilibrium was off, and I already knew something had gone wrong with the ship. I could practically see the smoke billowing out of a disrupted line or sparks from a frayed wire. I climbed up the ladder out of the gun cockpit, turning left to face the source. I pulled a grate away from the floor as I jumped down, inspecting the hardware. Slowly, I could feel the life draining out of the ship as it broke down, and I frantically searched the inner workings for the problem. 

Finn and the girl's footsteps arrived moments later as they hurried towards me, peering down. "What is it?" the girl asked, motioning towards the smoke issuing from a panel. I groaned, rubbing my forehead, sweat begining to form on my brow. 

"I'm not sure just yet," I said, looking up. "Pass me that wrench, will you?" She did as instructed, offering me help, which I declined, the problem becoming apparent. 

"Here," I stated, looking up at the both of them, my eyes wide. "The ship's going to flood with poisonous gas in about five minutes." Finn gasped, his eyes growing wide in shock. The girl just nodded grimly. "Take these," I continued, tossing them each a gas mask of sorts. "This should do the trick." I returned to working on the ship's main frame, Finn and the girl watching on in awe as my fingers flew over wires, inspecting them, looking for a single fray, a scorched connection, a loose coil. Grinning proudly, I reattached a small wire to the board, fumbling around to connect it in all of the right places. "Fixed," I announced, pulling myself out. That was when we felt a tractor beam latch onto us, pulling us in like a fish on a hook. 

The First Order.