Chapter 16

I bit my lip hard as I felt the tractor beam latch onto us, pulling us in. It was strong, well mechanized, and began to drag us through space slowly. I ran to the cockpit, trying to stick the ship into reverse with a full throttle, but we didn't budge. Resisting the urge to let my anger get the best of me, I turned back to Finn and the girl, open to debating our next actions. We had to think of the bigger picture. We needed to return BB-8 to the Resistance to find Master Luke. That was our top priority. 

We were boarded soon after, but not by First Order stormtroopers. Instead, it was an older man, with white hair and a cocky smile upon his face, and a large creature covered in fur. The man's grin grew as he inspected the ship, breathing deeply. "Chewy, we're home," he said, his voice full of emotion. Then he smiled, making it appear as if him coming back to this ship was the best thing in the world. I could tell so much from that smile, like how much it had pained him to have been separated from his beloved vessel, and that even though he was currently overjoyed, there was an ache in his heart, a longing for something or someone.

Then his smile hit me like a slap in the face. 

The likeness between father and son was uncanny. Sly, cheeky grins, and a laugh without a care in the world. A contagious laugh, one that had caught me off guard on multiple occasions. The two even looked alike in stature and features, with a tall, athletic build, sparkling eyes that crinkled at the edges when they laughed, and a presence that filled up an entire room without meaning to. They were both characters, though from opposite sides of the spectrum at the moment, and for a second, I bit my lip in disbelief. I wanted to reject the fact. I didn't want it to be him. His father. I didn't want to have to further explain the transformation that had taken place that fateful night, how he was no longer the boy I had once known, as he had seemed so keen to point out. And there was also no denying the unyielding stab in my gut as I stared at the man as he examined his ship, now returned to him. It was him. There was never a question about it. Breathing deeply, I stepped out of the shadows. It was a second before his eyes landed on me, not recognizing me to be the young girl he had met so many years ago. I held my hand out before speaking softly.

"Hello Mister Solo," I announced gently, my hand still extended out to him. I could feel Finn and the girl's eyes on the back of my head as I gave myself up. "I don't know if you remember me, but my name is Aamira."