The First Incident

My sister, Serena, and I were at school when the first incident happened. 

I had been texting my mom all day asking her what we were doing to celebrate Serena's birthday that night. She never answered me, so I assumed it was because she was going to surprise her and I could never not tell her. So, I continued on with my day, laughing with my friends, and telling the boys what to do. After school I picked up Serena and I went home. 

When we got home I immediately went to my parent's room and I saw my father doubled over with tears. I sat down on their bed with him and enveloped him in my arms. I told him I loved him, and I uttered the saying that my family had  lived by for years, "love is not love without pain."

"I just wish she could say those words one more time. If she could then I might believe it. Oh, Blair, I'm going to miss her so much.

Obviously hearing our conversation my brother walked in, also in tears and said, "I guess you picked up on what dad meant."

As the realization came to my head I too started to cry. "My mother is dead. I'll never see her again. I'll never hear her smooth voice or melodious laugh, I'll never speak to her again." As I was wallowing in my self pity I realized it was Serena's birthday. What are we gonna tell her? All these thoughts were running through my head when Serena walked in. 

"What's going on? Why is everyone crying?" I just left the room leaving my father to tell her what happened. About five minutes later she came into my room crying her eyes out. "Oh my god, mom is dead." 

"Yeah," I said having recovered from the perpetual shock. I decided to go to school the next day even though no one else did. When I got to school my best friends, Penelope, Isabelle, and Katelyn, came running.

"Oh my god, we heard. We are so sorry, Blair. Yeah, why do good things always happen to bad people," they all muttered their condolences. 

"Yeah, I know. I just wanna get my books and go to class."

"We'll get them for you." Katelyn said.

"Yeah, we'll meet you in English," Isabelle added. 

When they got to class they handed me my books and I saw a note card sticking out. I grabbed it not knowing what it was and read it. It said, I'm sorry about your mom. It wasn't supposed to happen that way. We just wanted to teach you a lesson. Back off or else. I thought in my head, "what is happening? trying to teach me a lesson? Back off? Off what? Who did this, and what are they gonna do next?