Strangers

Image Source: http://meronello.tumblr.com/post/121278593801/for-the-colour-pallette-thing-near-8

It was a quite small but considerable length of time that Nate had been staring, and beside this fact, his eyes remained dark, dull, and depressed of any bulging. Soon, though, he closed his eyes and then looked downward, rolling the pair of dice just once more. He fixed his gaze upon Halle, who stood behind him. 

"Surprises aren't always nice, are they?" He stated. 

"There were many more unpleasant ones, even in very recent memory."

"You're not wrong," he rolled again, only looking from the corner of his eye to determine what had been the result. A one and a six. 

"But you're also not right, either." He turned his head back to where it had been from the beginning. He stared ahead.

"I only do preemptive moves when I find them necessary. I thought you would have trusted my judgement." She coolly reasoned. Anthony stood silent next to Stephen, who had a cup of coffee to occupy his mouth as his eyes devoured the tension provided by his coworker and employer. 

"It hasn't wronged me gravely in the past, but that does not eliminate my discomfort now."

Halle sighed, then offered a subtly sympathetic gaze to the young lady sitting on her knees, across from herself and Nate. 

The girl was in likeness to his age, but just about every phenotype in them were starkly contrasted with one another. Her posture was actually aligned properly, and she sat with her legs pressed together rather than in his odd style, but that in itself would be practical of just about anybody else; it made the girl wonder if he had some sort of handicap or defect that made him sit so oddly to her. Despite the gross discomfort she had been enduring, she remained with a calm exterior by being fascinated by the fortress of cards that consumed most of the space in the entire room. Halle had previously warned her that he would be rather unwelcoming, which she was fully and well prepared for; she had underestimated the woman's warrants of his habitual toy playing. 

"I think she at least deserves a 'hello', Near."

The young man sighed, "Under this sudden situation I was a bit taken aback, but I'm sorry. Hello." 

He extended his hand, which didn't appear from his white sleeve until it was outstretched all the way. The girl shook it with a ginger grasp. His hand had been cold to the touch, but she had actually expected that much. 

"Do you find her a threat to security or yourself?" Rester asked from behind the girl. 

"Not particularly."

"Then may we leave you two to be acquainted?" 

He hadn't any time to properly respond to anybody before his associates vacated the room to isolate the young adults. Inevitably he looked at her again but with less intensity in his eyes after noticing her fidget with her hands. She stopped and looked at him as well. It would have been far to call him an albino. His hair went without saying- it was obviously and shockingly white, but his fair skin was absent of the exaggeration of the blood in his system with eyes that held no red tint in his sclera. She concluded that his hair had somehow lacked any melanin. He didn't seem to be the type to take the time to dye it, let alone something drastic like stark white.

With no real inclination to talk, Nate simply returned to his dice game. Repeatedly the girl watched as he rolled. His fingers released and clenched in fluid symmetry to his previous rolls. 

"You're a detective, right?" She finally spoke.

"Yes."

"Then why haven't you asked why I was here?"